Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

First time using Optimum No Rinse

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 01:30 AM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: First time using Optimum No Rinse

I've had some concerns about using such products, mainly scratching/spiderwebbin/etching.

When I wash, I usually hose down my car pretty well to loosen up and remove and loose surface dust/dirt. Next I sponge on alot of suds in order to lift away the dirt and wash, thus lessening the propensity for dirt etches.

With the waterless washes, you just begin to wash the finish without first rinsing? What if there is a fair amount of dust/dirt on the finish...Wouldn't moving a wet sponge over dry paint increase the possibility of etching?

Old 03-21-2008, 08:58 AM
crash94
3rd Gear Member

gig for using the word PROPENSITY!

I have the same view as you about not wetting the car down first and probably will when I am able to get some ONR.

I wonder if Justin wets the car down first or just goes at it like the ONR video shows?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:26 AM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

if the car has mud caked on it or some really heavy dirt then i will usually hose it off first. other than that, i have had no problems with any swirling/spiderwebbing when using onr. and if its fairly dusty then i will usually get my towel wet with the ONR water and wring it out so it flows down the panel im about to wash and then i will dip it in the bucket again and wash it.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

No Rinse isn't actually a waterless wash since you are using water, it is considered a rinseless wash.

I very rarely hose a vehicle off first. If a vehicle hasa lot of mud I will hose it off and then proceed with the No Rinse. If used correctly you wan't get any etching or scratches. On a very dirty panel you might have to go over it a few times to get it completely clean. When drying after using No Rinse the towel should be completely clean if used correctly.

No Rinse has surficants that lift the dirt so it doesn't scratch the paint, all of the dirt will end up at the bottom of the wash bucket. No Rinse also has polymers that leaves the surface feeling slick and it actually prolongs the life of your wax.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

How does this stuff actually WORK? That's what I want to know. And what is the proper procedure for use? Just don't use a lot of pressure on the mit when you wipe with it?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:10 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

one thing i do is mix up ONR at QD strength and i always spray the panel im working with down before putting my mitt on there, that way theres already some lubricity before anything touches the paint
Old 03-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riptide

How does this stuff actually WORK? That's what I want to know. And what is the proper procedure for use? Just don't use a lot of pressure on the mit when you wipe with it?
It is designed to lift the dirt so it doesn't scratch the paint. You don't apply any pressure with the mitt when you are using it.

To start out you dip your mitt into the No Rinse solution and do a panel, if it still looks dirty wring the mitt out into your bucket and do another pass. You do each panel at a time and dry right away, this way you don't get water dripping out of crevices or get waterspots. You do this procedure for each panel on the whole vehicle. I do the wheels and tires last.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:53 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Just used ONR for the first time this weekend and WOW am I impressed. It was unbelievably simple and did an awesome job. Gonna hook my Dad up with some plus some mf cloths for his birthday - he'll love this stuff.

I know ONR is perfect for cars that don't get too dirtybut what about cars that get filthy? How well willONR work or is it best to go with the normal wash/rinse method? If so what product?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I think if it's really dirty, I'd atleast hose it down, but if you have dirt that's visible and stuck to the car... I'd probably use the normal wash method.

I worked on a really dirty car this weekend with the ONR and my rinse bucket was so filthy it was alarming. I should have rinsed the car before atleast. It was pretty bad. But now I know my comfort limit.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:32 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

2 bucket method dan!

presoak too!

Quick Reply: First time using Optimum No Rinse