Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

yellow paint differences

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

Default yellow paint differences

so i got a few scratchs that could use some touch up for the time being till the whole car gets painted..but like autozone only has the "chrome" yellow and mines the "canary" yellow..how much of a difference am i going to see between the two? is it going to be noticeable because i dont wanna buy it and then have a yellow car with a different color touch up spots ..
Old 06-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: yellow paint differences

Even going to the trouble of finding a can of touch-up in your factory color will result in a difference in color due to fading. About the only way to get a good barely noticeable touch-up color now would be to have your paint computer matched- but even that won't be exact, or cheap.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:53 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

ahh kinda figured it wouldnt be some fantasy cure lol..ah well..idk i just need to save up for a paint job i guess...all the prep work will be done by me n my dad so that'll save quite a bit...what would u guys think a price would be for a paint job..not a maaco crap job..but something decent..if all the sanding, and maybe even priming was done..because we have the compressor and we have a gun here..
Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Quality paint job, I'd say start at $5000 and work up. You get what you pay for with paint. I don't know about you doing your own prep work though, many (if not most) paint places won't do paint on a body that they didn't prep. It's not a money issue, but a quality control issue, since they didn't do the prep (which is just as important as the final coats) they can't guarantee the results.

The paint on mine for example was $3800, but that was because we knew the guy in charge of the body shop and he did the work at a very nice discount for us. All the panels, doors, glass, etc. were removed, cleaned to bare metal, all small dents and bumps smoothed, a coat of rust preventing primer, a coat of white primer, 4 coats of base and 3 coats of clear, reassembled with new gaskets and weatherstripping. It took about 2 months from when we dropped it off to when we picked it up, due to the fact the shop we had it done was constantly having to deal with insurance claims. It's not a perfect paint job, there's some orange peel, a few drips in corners and similar places, but it's a very good paint job for a daily driver.