Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How often do you cringe? Do you say anything?

Old 11-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default How often do you cringe? Do you say anything?

How often do you cringe when you see someone washing, drying or taking care of their paint finish improperly? Have you ever gotten the gonads to approach and offer advice?

I can't tell you how many Mustangs I see in town that look like a rolling hologram or massive spiderweb whenever the sun is out. I wonder if they notice how great my paint looks compared to theirs, or if they even have the eye to notice the difference.

Hell, I get anxious when it's dark out, the headlights are on and I'm sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, I'm sitting there wondering if the person behind me can see all the dust sitting on my rear bumper and if they are thinking how nasty it looks and saying "look at this butthole, nice car and doesn't take care of it".

It's funny after becoming obsessed with finish quality that I've become extremely judgemental and can spot a nice finish from hundreds of feet away... Man I need therapy!

What are some horror stories you guys have? Was there anything you did that was dumb and didn't realize it until you stepped back and had a look?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:18 PM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

don't necessarily cringe when I see poorly maintained paint, but I always observe any car's paint as im walking by or at a stop light. I saw a Porsche carrera 4s the other day and it was black, but the spider-webbing was really really bad on that car, you can see more swirls then paint.

Another observation, usually when right after I finished washing and waxing and go for a drive, I notice people won't stop so close to my bumper and generally don't follow me close, but when my car is dirty then they have no problem kissing the back bumper.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:29 PM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Man I tend to be super **** about my car, I clay it a couple times a year, polish it with a PC, always use good microfiber stuff on it, seal it with Zaino. The really fine swirls are inevitable for me, especially considering I have red paint. But all in all my paint is in fantastic shape. I can live with the REALLY fine swirls that are only noticeable in like perfect light from a perfect angle. I polish them out, they come back, its a big cycle, whatever. anyways, a new Detail shop opened up by me, I drive by it all the time. They can clean the hell out of the car, but I always see them using schitt towels and stuff on the cars. I just shake my head. People paying 80 bucks for that.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Yeah there are a lot of 'detailers' in my area and I've noticed that they only offer wash & wax on the exterior really, I know of one that does paint correction but I've seen the holograms he likes to make in the side of everyones cars...not to mention I know he uses a glaze loaded with fillers. Shady business...
Old 11-25-2008, 02:00 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

hahaha i always cringe when people are behind me with their headlights on. Even right after I wash I'm worried that they see how dirty my car is. My car got caught in rain last week and then I bring it in the garage so it's got a nice amount of dry water spots. I havent had time to wash it and freak out everytime I look in the garage
Old 11-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Will you leave the house and go places in dirty, ratty clothes? I will.

But I won't drive my car anywhere with water spots, dirt or dust on it when it leaves the driveway.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dan04COBRA

But I won't drive my car anywhere with water spots, dirt or dust on it when it leaves the driveway.
Lol my clothes are always fresh and my car used to be, but not as much anymore I've got a lot less time with work and school
Old 11-26-2008, 02:53 AM
Cooter
3rd Gear Member

I've tried to explain to ppl I work with about proper washing techniques at work. I've since given up and tell them to just go to walmart and buy a bottle of Joy and a brush and just go to town. They think I'm an idiot for buying hi-quality products and ridicule me. Well, we'll see who has the last laugh. Can u say Swirlage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Merry Christmas =)
Old 11-26-2008, 09:07 AM
kc99stangv6
1st Gear Member

How often do you cringe when you see someone washing, drying or taking care of their paint finish improperly? Have you ever gotten the gonads to approach and offer advice?

I can't tell you how many Mustangs I see in town that look like a rolling hologram or massive spiderweb whenever the sun is out. I wonder if they notice how great my paint looks compared to theirs, or if they even have the eye to notice the difference.

Hell, I get anxious when it's dark out, the headlights are on and I'm sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, I'm sitting there wondering if the person behind me can see all the dust sitting on my rear bumper and if they are thinking how nasty it looks and saying "look at this butthole, nice car and doesn't take care of it".

It's funny after becoming obsessed with finish quality that I've become extremely judgemental and can spot a nice finish from hundreds of feet away... Man I need therapy!

What are some horror stories you guys have? Was there anything you did that was dumb and didn't realize it until you stepped back and had a look?
I always cringe when I see an improperly maintained car, whether it is or isn't a mustang. However, I have given up on trying to offer my two cents anymore as everyone always find it humorous when I try to tell them the proper way (I know) to keep their paint looking fresh and minimize swirls. As a matter of fact, my neighbors are always laughing at me when I'm washing the car, I won't even get into the kick they get out of watching me drying it.

No dirty, ratty clothes for me. I try, however, to keep the car spotless, but *sigh* it is black, daily driven, and parked outside, and my dad finds it humorous to soak it up with the sprinklers every chance he gets... though I do get compliments on how clean it is kept even with the said conditions .

The slightest bit of dirt on the there is enough to get me to feel as though everyone only sees how dirty the car is... yeah I too need therapy

Last edited by kc99stangv6; 11-26-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:14 AM
jpogioli
1st Gear Member

I try not to go out in dirty, ratty clothes. My white mustang is not too hard to keep looking good for a while, as long as those friggin cats don't sleep on it at night. But I have a black camry and I can't seem to keep that thing looking clean for more than two days. It either gets a small layer of dust or it rains or something..... frustrating.

But to respond correctly, I do cringe if a car is visibly poorly maintained, but not usually at small stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How often do you cringe? Do you say anything?