Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

I want my car to be shiny!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:42 AM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

lol a claybar won't remove swirls
Old 02-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Mully24
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by one87
try one of the clay bar kits...
Yeah try the clay bar. I have used that on my car and its great at taking off any extra grim or filth you may have on it. I typically use it after a long road trip to get off any bugs or anything that might get on it.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

but again it wont remove swirls...just contaminants like bird droppings, industrial fallout, rail dust, etc...do this step first after the wash and use alot of quik detailer/lube....
Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Im thinking about buying the orbital polisher and the complete kit after seeing some pictures of that black car. How much are those polisherS?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
Im thinking about buying the orbital polisher and the complete kit after seeing some pictures of that black car. How much are those polisherS?
Here is the link to my Porter Cable polisher page, all of the prices are on there.
http://www.obsessivedetail.com/Buffer.html

I would recommend going with one of the PC Package deals, the Optimum PC kit is the most popular. This has everything need to remove swirls and scratches plus it is discounted as a kit. Since you are a member here you also get $10 off any of the kits.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Juztang
Here is the link to my Porter Cable polisher page, all of the prices are on there.
http://www.obsessivedetail.com/Buffer.html

I would recommend going with one of the PC Package deals, the Optimum PC kit is the most popular. This has everything need to remove swirls and scratches plus it is discounted as a kit. Since you are a member here you also get $10 off any of the kits.
What is the difference between With Optimum Polish & Compound and W/ Obsessive Detail Light Polish & Optimum Compound. The main reason I want this buffer is so I can remove swirl marks from my paint, and hopefully protect it and make it look awesome.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

There really isn't a whole lot of difference. The Optimum Polishes come in 32 oz size and the OD Light Polish is only 16 oz. The Optimum polishes have recently been redesigned and they are awesome to work with. The polishes will only correct the swirls and scratches, you will still have to put a wax or sealant over the polish for protection.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

since there's a discrepancy about using a clay bar... how bout:

1. clay bar (to remove excess grime not the swirls)
2. use the buffer/polisher with whatever the consensus says is the best kind of polish/swirl remover (to remove the swirls)
(there, now the clay bar and buffer are used )
3. mother's carnuba wax (the 'solid' kind in the can that smells like a cherry limeade )
...and finally...
4. zaino's grand finale spray to keep your car looking awesome

i usually do that order (99% of the time without the buffer) and have had awesome results. i do know your pain, though; i had a black truck and it was definitely a pain to keep clean

Last edited by Xeno; 02-13-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:28 PM
seapuss

wow, great job reducing the swirl marks
Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 PM
flyinfunnyguy16
2nd Gear Member

So what if I get one of those polishes but dont have the buffer? Is a simple hand swirling motion, gonna do anything? or am I just pissing away money to buy the good polish, with no buffer? By the way, awesome before and after pics. I have an alloy metallic and want to make it really pop

Quick Reply: I want my car to be shiny!