Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

messed up paint...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:42 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

Default messed up paint...HELP

Ok so I had some white paint specs allllll over my hood and so I tryed things like rubbing compound, clay bar, wd-40, nothing would take it off, finally I resorted to using goo gone extreme
It got the specs off but now I have all these little finger long finger shaped scuff markd type of things from rubbing with the micro fiber towel and the goo gone. I took some pictures but you cant really see it very well, only at like exactly the right angle. I would like to fix this rather than having to repain the hood in which case I plan on getting the RK style hood from Cruzin Concepts. I plan on getting a Porter Cable orbital polisher, and whatever stuff I need to do the job. My question, what all do i need to buy (I dont have any of the stuff other than medium rubbing compound). Do you think I will be able to fix it, or is the paint ruined?

Here is a pic, it's hard to see but I circled the ones you can in this pic, it's all over the hood and worse than it looks in the pic
Old 05-01-2009, 11:19 AM
crueheadstang87
3rd Gear Member

wet sand the areas with 1500 grit until it is gone and smooth but be careful not to go through the clear, then wetsand over the 1500 scratches with 3000 grit, buff it out with 3m perfect it compund then polish with 3m polish then glaze and wax it.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

Alright thanks, is this something I can do on my own, im fairly handy with things, I did all the mods in my sig except exhaust. Or do I need to take it to a pro? Also where can I find all that stuff?
Old 05-01-2009, 04:06 PM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

I would try using a polish or a light aggressive polish with a white or orange pad before wetsanding.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
crueheadstang87
3rd Gear Member

You can do this your self fairly easily, yopu can buy everything at anystore that sells autobody supplies,
Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Don't wet sand for that. Especially if you don't have a PC or a rotary buffer on such an obvious area of your car.

It does not take much at all to break through your clear and really make things look awful.......

First, can you catch the scratches with your finger nail? If you can, you really did a number. Hopefully you just scratched the clear coat and didn't actually touch the color.

You need a PC, you will need the pads, at a minimum light polish and a medium polish. Always start with the LEAST aggressive combination and work your way up. You don't exactly have to do things that way with a Porter Cable, but it's best to practice this habit. Make sure you watch a video on Youtube or another website to learn how to properly use a Porter Cable, if you work too fast you will use too much compound and waste a ton of time. The idea is to use the PC on speed setting 5 or 6 (I used 6 for everything except applying glaze), press down with enough weight to stop the PC, then slowly back off with your pressure until it functions properly & use this pressure to work that area. That will help speed the correction up. It's probably going to take several passes to fix that damage, but as long as you can't feel it with your finger nails, it'll come out.

Then you'll be using the PC on your entire car because you'll see the difference in the finish and realize just how bad the rest of the car is

Make sure you pick up some high quality glazes/wax/sealants. They make a world of a difference compared to the trash you can buy at the chain stores. Check out everything from obsessivedetail.com. That is where I get all of my supplies, they don't have the largest selection - but they sell proven stuff that everyone here loves and his customer service is more than you could ask for. Hell, I haven't purchased anything from him for a very long time and he still spent time on the phone answering some questions last week!

Last edited by Dan04COBRA; 05-04-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:38 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dan04COBRA
Don't wet sand for that. Especially if you don't have a PC or a rotary buffer on such an obvious area of your car.

It does not take much at all to break through your clear and really make things look awful.......

First, can you catch the scratches with your finger nail? If you can, you really did a number. Hopefully you just scratched the clear coat and didn't actually touch the color.

You need a PC, you will need the pads, at a minimum light polish and a medium polish. Always start with the LEAST aggressive combination and work your way up. You don't exactly have to do things that way with a Porter Cable, but it's best to practice this habit. Make sure you watch a video on Youtube or another website to learn how to properly use a Porter Cable, if you work too fast you will use too much compound and waste a ton of time. The idea is to use the PC on speed setting 5 or 6 (I used 6 for everything except applying glaze), press down with enough weight to stop the PC, then slowly back off with your pressure until it functions properly & use this pressure to work that area. That will help speed the correction up. It's probably going to take several passes to fix that damage, but as long as you can't feel it with your finger nails, it'll come out.

Then you'll be using the PC on your entire car because you'll see the difference in the finish and realize just how bad the rest of the car is

Make sure you pick up some high quality glazes/wax/sealants. They make a world of a difference compared to the trash you can buy at the chain stores. Check out everything from obsessivedetail.com. That is where I get all of my supplies, they don't have the largest selection - but they sell proven stuff that everyone here loves and his customer service is more than you could ask for. Hell, I haven't purchased anything from him for a very long time and he still spent time on the phone answering some questions last week!
Thanks, excellent advice. No I cant feel it with my finger nail, it is a tiny bit rough when you use the pad of your fingertip to feel it but other than that no. I'll go look at obsessive, i really need to stock up on all of the detailing stuff. Does that pc polish and glaze thing for the rest of the car take the place of a clay bar or do I need to do that first?