Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

protective car film

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:02 PM
91smokedgt
1st Gear Member

Default protective car film

Hey all, im going to The NMRA finals in oct. and was planning on driving my 91. im wanting to protect my bumper from bugs and stuff like that if possible. its like a 3 hour dirve. Was wondering if anyone has used 3m protective car film or anything like it? if so does it leave resedue, easy to take off???
Old 09-16-2009, 08:06 PM
dickwitham
1st Gear Member

As stupid as it sounds, 3M painters tape works really well at temporarily protecting your paint for road trips.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:17 PM
badass84gt
2nd Gear Member

+1 for the painter tape. Looks like hell but works very well.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 PM
91smokedgt
1st Gear Member

ok cool thanks, ill have to try it
Old 09-17-2009, 12:52 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

why not just buy a bra for it?
Old 09-17-2009, 10:00 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

and if you do get a bra for it....do not leave it on and get it wet or the paint will fade faster.....those bra's suck!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:22 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
and if you do get a bra for it....do not leave it on and get it wet or the paint will fade faster.....those bra's suck!
What experience did you have with a bra to draw that conclusion?

I have heard that kind of thing but I don't know how getting it wet could hurt. Leaving it on year round in the sun could cause a difference in the fading of the paint, which would be more visible on certain colors.
But there are a lot of myths about bras, like how they scratch the paint. A bra made specifically for your model year Mustang should fit very tightly, and should not rub at all. I used the sport bar on my 2005's hood for 4 years. Some times it would be on for just a trip lasting a few days. Other times it would be on until I got the car dirty after over a month. Not one scratch or color difference. I don't park my car in the sun every day though.

Either way I would recommend a $150 bra over the expensive 3M clear bra any day.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:01 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Orion_240
What experience did you have with a bra to draw that conclusion?

I have heard that kind of thing but I don't know how getting it wet could hurt. Leaving it on year round in the sun could cause a difference in the fading of the paint, which would be more visible on certain colors.
But there are a lot of myths about bras, like how they scratch the paint. A bra made specifically for your model year Mustang should fit very tightly, and should not rub at all. I used the sport bar on my 2005's hood for 4 years. Some times it would be on for just a trip lasting a few days. Other times it would be on until I got the car dirty after over a month. Not one scratch or color difference. I don't park my car in the sun every day though.

Either way I would recommend a $150 bra over the expensive 3M clear bra any day.
I had 3 different 5.0 mustangs in the past and used the bra for the first 2. Each one would hold water against the paint and fade the paint or caused all kinds of water spots (white spots on burgundy is not appealing at all).
I would recommend the 3M clear one any day over the "others" but your right about the cost.....IMO not worth it. So the painters tape will work for temporary trips and drag runs, auto x, etc and I just live with the fact that bugs and yes even stone chips can and will happen if the car is driven at all. If you drive on freeways and expressways where a rock chip is more likely then the clear bra would pay for itself in the long run IMO.....

that was Ford paint of yesteryear and todays paints are actually much better then previous yrs so that is something I should have mentioned in the first place. I do use bug deflectors on the trucks in the past but never on the sports cars.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:01 AM
91smokedgt
1st Gear Member

yeah i was thinking of getting a bra. just seeing if there was a cheaper way to do it. i dont drive it much, so id hate to buy one for a one time use imo.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:16 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I feel ya on that one 91smokedgt......just use the painters tape!

Quick Reply: protective car film