Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Did I Use Too Much Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:52 PM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

When I used tech wax I did the entire car and left it on for a little while then came back. It wasn't too bad to get off.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:52 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I remember Turtle Wax, I knew dozens of guys who used it. Interestingly, Maguires seems to have eclipsed good 'ole Turtle. All the guys today swear by Maguires as if they own stock in it
nope not me. Step up a level. I swear by Adams.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 19stang88
nope not me. Step up a level. I swear by Adams.
Adams was my first dive in to being serious. Now I don't even think about his products. I have so much stuff now that I forget I have half of it. There is so much stuff out there. No one company makes the best stuff. Every company has their hit or miss products. There is Meguiars, Mothers, Optimum, Poorboy's World, Swissvax, Zymol, Dodo Juice, 3M (actually owns Meguiars now), Zaino, Menzerna, etc. I could go on. Then there are companies that specialize in certain things like Black Wow, Leatherique, Leather Masters, 303, etc. By the way, the Flex 3401 is more powerful than the 7424XP, has forced rotation and is just as safe as the 7424/7424XP. I haven't been able to justify the price on the Flex... yet.

It seems the issue at hand was resolved. My first thought was dirt on the towel as well. It's hard to tell from the picture if the mark on the towel was actually blue or not. Maybe easier to tell in person. One spot that comes to mind on a lot of cars is where the fender bolts down to the car under the hood. A lot of times those aren't clear coated and such you would get paint transfer. Gold Class by the way is completely safe. Unless you're waxing over dirt, you're not going to hurt anything. Gold Class is a carnauba wax where Nxt2.0 is a synthetic wax (or commonly referred to as a sealer). Nxt will last longer but to most doesn't give as nice of a look. Carnaubas generally give a better look which is why a lot of people will do a synthetic first and then top it with a carnauba. Typically when waxing, work your way around the car and when everything is waxed, start removing it in the same order you applied it. Depending on how fast you are at applying and the conditions outside (temperature and humidity) it may need a little bit longer to set up but there is no reason to wait hours to do it. Also, always apply thin. A good container of wax should get you about 30 applications give or take. Applying thick is just wasting wax and making you work harder to remove. With a lot of waxes, applying it thin means barely being able to see it on the paint as you're apply it. A lot of people stress doing to coats to ensure proper coverage.

Do yourself a favor and get better towels. That yellow towel looks like a cheapy from autozone, target, or similar. Not all microfibers are created equally. Hit up Justin at Obsessive Detail/The Rag Shack (he's a sponsor here) and he'll get you situated with good towels. Just use care when washing and storing them.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:31 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Last weekend was a perfect garage day, overcast and cool, so I finally got around to applying that Meguiars tech II wax last weekend and it worked as promised. I coated the entire car, let it set for at least an hour, and buffed it off. The shine is fantastic. Time will tell if it holds up.

I took some pics and will post then after I figure out how. Although "shine" doesn't really come through in pics

Kitzy - I like your idea of applying a carnauba coat over the tech II.

Last edited by potman; 10-25-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
Last weekend was a perfect garage day, overcast and cool, so I finally got around to applying that Meguiars tech II wax last weekend and it worked as promised. I coated the entire car, let it set for at least an hour, and buffed it off. The shine is fantastic. Time will tell if it holds up.

I took some pics and will post then after I figure out how. Although "shine" doesn't really come through in pics

Kitzy - I like your idea of applying a carnauba coat over the tech II.
A common carnauba topper for Meguiar's NXT 2.0 is Meguiar's #26 Hi Tech Yellow wax. I prefer paste waxes but it is available both ways and often it's available over the counter at places like Advanced Auto and Autozone. Neither of these are my favorite waxes or combinations but there are a lot of people that really like this combo. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:29 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

What brand do you prefer?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
What brand do you prefer?
There's not really a specific brand I prefer. Every company makes good and not so good products. It really depends on what you're talking about. Since the topic is wax and sealants I'll name a few I use regularly. And really, it all depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Some of my favorite carnaubas include (top 3 are my go to waxes):
Obsessive Details Wet Obsession
Dodo Juice Supernatural (version 2)
Poorboy's World Natty's (Red and Blue Versions)
Wolfgang Fuzion
Meguiar's #16 (Hardly ever use because it's a PITA to remove if applied too thick)
Migliore Primo
Those are some of my personal favorites. I have plenty more waxes, but honestly, I ended up never even getting around to some of them because of my go-to waxes and lack of time over the past year or two.

For Sealants:
Optimum Opti-Seal

I'm not a big sealant fan. I enjoy maintaining my vehicle so I don't see a huge need for the durability of a sealant especially when I can get a better look from a carnauba. I do however use Opti-Seal a lot because of how easy it is to apply. It also has good durability and looks. Other's worth mentioning though are Poorboy's World EX-P and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

LOL

I've never heard of most of those. I've been stuck on Meguiars for decades only because I'm pretty happy with the results. I think I need to branch out here.

Thanks for all that!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 AM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

I swear by Meguiar's products. With regular washes (using their NXT wash) and at least two coats of NXT 2.0 per year, my car never fails to be the deepest, most glossy in the parking lot.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

There's no reason to change what you're doing if you're happy with it. Meguiars makes plenty of products. More than enough to tackle any job.

Quick Reply: Did I Use Too Much Wax?