Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Default Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

At Autogeek, we specialize in car care and auto detailing. Our courteous staff of technical advisers consists of detailing enthusiasts and professional detailers and our team of car care experts are happy to answer your questions! We'll help you find auto care solutions so that you can achieve the ultimate show car shine.

As a forum sponsor, we would like to offer our guidance and assistance and answer any questions that you may have. Introducing “Ask The Autogeek!” By posting questions and answers in this thread, this will create an archive of valuable information for other forum members and guests to see, so you’ll be helping others as well!

Need answers right now? We can help with that too! Autogeek.net is your source for the most in depth and comprehensive car care information on the internet. We have detailing guides, how to articles and informative videos to get you started in the right direction! These are just a few of the informative links that you will find at Autogeek.net:

Autogeek University – Auto Detailing Facts, Tips & Tricks

Dual Action Orbital Polishing Guide

Download & View Autogeek Car Care Handbooks & Videos

Customer Comments & Reviews

We are looking forward to helping you achieve the results that you are looking for. So go ahead, ask away! We welcome your questions and will work hard to provide quality answers that you need to get the best detail possible.

Use coupon code Mustangforums for 10% off your orders at Autogeek.net!

*Coupon valid on in stock items. Not applicable on previously placed orders, custom or special order items, polishers & polisher kits, vacuums, carpet extractors, garage flooring, gift certificates, or complete wash systems. One coupon code per order.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

I have been getting a lot of PM's lately regarding products and tech help. Sometimes the same question is asked by several different people. If everyone would post their questions in this thread, it can be viewed by everyone and some questions may already have been asked and then answered by the experts here at Autogeek.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:13 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Sure, Whats the proper (Safe) way to get your engine clean and in show condition without damging it? What products do you recommend to use on your engine to clean?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
Sure, Whats the proper (Safe) way to get your engine clean and in show condition without damging it? What products do you recommend to use on your engine to clean?

Thanks
First and foremost, it's always a good idea to cover the battery, alternator, and intake (if exposed) before cleaning the engine bay. A small plastic shopping bag and some tape always does the trick.

It is not always necessary to wet the engine bay before cleaning. If the engine bay is filthy and is heavily soiled then it would be a good idea to rinse it off prior to cleaning. To clean the all the surfaces in the engine bay I personally prefer an all purpose cleaner such as Optimum Power Clean. It's virtually safe on all surfaces inside your engine bay and can be diluted as necessary. To clean all the intricate, hard to reach areas I like using a soft brush with a long handle, such as the Clean Wheel Lugnut Brush. This particular brush is soft enough to where it won't scratch or harm any delicate surface, but it's also stiff enough to provide adequate agitation to clean heavily soiled surfaces.

When I finish cleaning my engine bay I like to dress all the plastic/rubber/vinyl surfaces with a water based protectant, such as 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's safe on all plastic/rubber/vinyl surfaces and will not attract dust or leave a high gloss sheen. If your engine bay has any polished metal or aluminum you can shine that up using a metal polish such as Optimum Metal Polish. I like that product in particular because it's very easy to use and doesn't have a harsh chemical smell.

Cleaning your engine bay can be a pain in the butt, but once cleaned up real nice and everything is dressed properly, it makes all the hard work worth it.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:31 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
First and foremost, it's always a good idea to cover the battery, alternator, and intake (if exposed) before cleaning the engine bay. A small plastic shopping bag and some tape always does the trick.

It is not always necessary to wet the engine bay before cleaning. If the engine bay is filthy and is heavily soiled then it would be a good idea to rinse it off prior to cleaning. To clean the all the surfaces in the engine bay I personally prefer an all purpose cleaner such as Optimum Power Clean. It's virtually safe on all surfaces inside your engine bay and can be diluted as necessary. To clean all the intricate, hard to reach areas I like using a soft brush with a long handle, such as the Clean Wheel Lugnut Brush. This particular brush is soft enough to where it won't scratch or harm any delicate surface, but it's also stiff enough to provide adequate agitation to clean heavily soiled surfaces.

When I finish cleaning my engine bay I like to dress all the plastic/rubber/vinyl surfaces with a water based protectant, such as 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's safe on all plastic/rubber/vinyl surfaces and will not attract dust or leave a high gloss sheen. If your engine bay has any polished metal or aluminum you can shine that up using a metal polish such as Optimum Metal Polish. I like that product in particular because it's very easy to use and doesn't have a harsh chemical smell.

Cleaning your engine bay can be a pain in the butt, but once cleaned up real nice and everything is dressed properly, it makes all the hard work worth it.
nice, i will look into those products as well..
Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Jkp03

Default 99-04 Spoiler

I have a 2001 3.8L V6 5 Speed and I was wondering if the 99-04 stock spoilers are interchangeable.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

With all the salt on the roads, what is the best way to clean the car to make sure nothing gets damaged from it?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jkp03
I have a 2001 3.8L V6 5 Speed and I was wondering if the 99-04 stock spoilers are interchangeable.
That would be a great question for a vendor that sells Mustang spoilers.

Originally Posted by steev
With all the salt on the roads, what is the best way to clean the car to make sure nothing gets damaged from it?

Waterless washes are a great way to keep your vehicle clean during the winter months. Check out this how-to guide if you're unfamiliar with waterless washes. - How To Use A Waterless Wash
Old 01-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

What would you recommend for the interior for a nice shine. Like the plastic consoles and stuff?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 PM
SON1C
3rd Gear Member

shoutout to autogeek for incredible customer service and hosting a plethora of accurate and very informative information

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread