Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Swirls on black paint (Not asking how to remove, but how to prevent)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:46 PM
ihavefat
1st Gear Member

Default Swirls on black paint (Not asking how to remove, but how to prevent)

Okay so it's been a month and a half since I got my car and I've Zaino-ed it at least 6 times. I know that's an overkill, but I couldn't help it.

I do have a black car and I know it'll naturally show imperfections easily. But I'm pretty OCD when it comes to my car and I was pretty disappointed I spotted visible swirls and a few scratches. Here's what I use:

For the engine bay- Uber Boar's Hair Wheel Brush
For the wheels/tires- Uber Spoke Brush, Swissvax wheel brush, Uber Wheel Well and Fender brush
For the body- Uber geuine Wool Wash Mitt(V2)

I do use the two bucket method, but I do not use any grit guards. I just make sure I hose the wash mitt off thoroughly before re-using it.

I use microfiber towels only (from Autozone). As for the applicator pads, I use the 100% cotton pads that came with the Zaino kit. All of them got dirty, so I just bought microfiber cotton pads today.

When I wash, I wash from top the bottom so I don't collect dirt from the bottom of the car and scratch the paint. I have claybarred the car once when I first got the car. I wash it AT LEAST once per week.

I know some of the information above is irrelevant, but I just wanted to prove I did my research before I used any product on my car. I know there are ways to remove swirls and scratches, but that's not why I'm posting thread.

My question is what do you think I am doing wrong that caused those swirls/scratches? If I were to get the swirls/scratches off, I would have to use some abrasive polish masterials but using them frequently won't be good for the paint. So I just want to know if there are ways to keep the paint swirl-free.

I have no complaints with the Zaino products. I absolutely love how the car looks after a detail. I use Z-2 and Z-5 with ZFX and Z-6 as the quick detailer. Even when my car is dirty, from far away it looks clean and shiny that it reflects the surrounding. Even though Z-2 and Z-5 are polishing products, they are non-abrasive and technically don't "remove" swirls/scratches, just hides them. Under the sun, you can see the swirl marks if you look really close. My only guess is when I apply products on the paint, I sometimes use circular motion, which some people don't recommend.

BTW, I recently got my windows tinted and that could be the causes for the scratches I spotted on the trunk and each side of the car. But still, I want to know if there is anything I am doing wrong or is it inevitible to prevent swirls?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:07 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

washing and drying a car using microfiber towels is the most likely culprit. I recently purchased a soap foamer and a metro vac master blaster. You are using the two bucket method, so you eliminate a majority of the grit. This is how I do mild paint correction.

1. Car wash using Adams Car wash & Gilmore foam master II. I have a quick release attachment so I can detach the foamer and attach a brass adjustable water nozzle.

2. Blow dry the car using the metro vac air blaster.

3. Pull car into garage and spray on Pre-wow to remove old sealer and wax. I use a clean, never used microfiber towel, turning towel often to expose new cleaning surfaces.

4. Blackfire clay and clay lubricant spray. Clay down entire car, then wipe away any remaining clay softened with the lubricant. Use a clean, never used microfiber towel, turn towel often to expose new surfaces.

5. Using a Girot random orbit polisher, set on #5, I apply Blackfire gloss enhansing polish, wipe with a new, never used microfiber towel, ect. Use a high intensity light to ckeck for clearcoat scratches, re-apply and buff as necessary to remove swirls. I use a waxing pad, since I only get a few random scratches. You may want to use a polishing pad. I do not reuse pads. They're cheap, and I throw them away.

6. Spray on Blackfire crystal sealant. No buffing required. Wipe using a clean, never used microfiber towel.

7. Clean the black trim with black Wow. I use a polishing pad.

8. Clean the windows with a window pad and sonax glass cleaner. I have a pad on a stick that I use to clean the interior glass.

I get all my supplies from either Autogeek.com or Detailersdomain.com. I use the reformulated blackfire, not the original formulation.

FYI Do not apply product on the paint. Apply it on the pad. Do not use circular motions, unless you are using a random orbit machine.

Last edited by freyes; 02-21-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 PM
mario23_15
1st Gear Member

The Autozone microfibers are most likely what caused the swirls they are cheap and not made out of very good materials. You need to get your hands on good quality microfiber brands such as Cobra microfibers and Griots Garage microfibers.

Also, if you are using the microfibers to dry the car and rubbing them across the paint, that can really scratch the car. You want to try and get most of the water off without touching the paint at all and blot the remaining water off.

Since you said you already have swirls and scratches, you should get the paint corrected to get the defects out and then Opti-Coat the car. Especially if it is a DD.