Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Headlight cleaners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Default Headlight cleaners?

Which ones work? Which ones dont work? I have those crappy plastic headlights that fog over within a year. Time to clean them.

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 04-29-2012, 11:58 AM
OTD

any picture of your headlights?
Old 04-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Martin6107
1st Gear Member

I picked up a Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit at Wal-Mart with low expectations. I'll be darned if it didn't do a pretty good job of getting rid of the foggy look on my old v6. The lights were nowhere new, but they cleared up a lot. I eventually replaced the lights a year later in favor of Cobra knock-offs.

When the next (real) Cobra came home I noticed that it had actual Ford logo headlights. I broke out the Meguiar's and cleaned them right up.

Old lights will always be old lights. Meguiar's did a pretty decent job for me.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 AM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

for the outside? a paper towel, rubbing compound, and elbow grease. works like a charm.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:27 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

I have an even better reply to Ford, Chrysler, GM, Toyota, Honda etc. Make the headlights out of something other than plastic so that your customers don't have to bother with stuff like this. Remember the good old days when you only had to worry about headlights until they burn out? What is it going to cost you? $5 per car? I'm sure that myself and alot of other people would not complain over an extra $5 to not bother HAVING HEADLIGHTS YOU CAN SEE THROUGH!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 12:36 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Martin6107
I picked up a Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit at Wal-Mart with low expectations. I'll be darned if it didn't do a pretty good job of getting rid of the foggy look on my old v6. The lights were nowhere new, but they cleared up a lot. I eventually replaced the lights a year later in favor of Cobra knock-offs.

When the next (real) Cobra came home I noticed that it had actual Ford logo headlights. I broke out the Meguiar's and cleaned them right up.

Old lights will always be old lights. Meguiar's did a pretty decent job for me.
+1. Used this kit today to "restore" my '04's headlights. Took 15 minutes (I rushed because I had to go to work within the hour). Worked like a charm.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Bauer505

I recently used the Turtle Wax headlight restore kit on my 02 GT. It was the cheapest kit at the auto parts store but I have always had good results from Turtle Wax products. Its a very simple kit but it gets the job done, very well I might add. It requires a bit of time and elbow grease from yourself but it shows when you are done with the lights. For the price I was very happy with what I got out of the the Turtle Wax kit.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Rolo72

I used the Rain-X Headlight Restoration kit on my 94 GT and the headlights look like new.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bauer505
I recently used the Turtle Wax headlight restore kit on my 02 GT. It was the cheapest kit at the auto parts store but I have always had good results from Turtle Wax products. Its a very simple kit but it gets the job done, very well I might add. It requires a bit of time and elbow grease from yourself but it shows when you are done with the lights. For the price I was very happy with what I got out of the the Turtle Wax kit.

I bought the same kit.its about a year later and my head lights are back to ugly and awful. i did the full treatment too, let them cure for 12 hours or what ever it was
Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

HAHA I forgot about this thread. Thanks for the ideas. Ill try the Meguires kit and see what happens. Maybe before and after photos.

Originally Posted by buster
I have an even better reply to Ford, Chrysler, GM, Toyota, Honda etc. Make the headlights out of something other than plastic so that your customers don't have to bother with stuff like this. Remember the good old days when you only had to worry about headlights until they burn out? What is it going to cost you? $5 per car? I'm sure that myself and alot of other people would not complain over an extra $5 to not bother HAVING HEADLIGHTS YOU CAN SEE THROUGH!!!!!!!!
I agree. I NEVER had to replace my old 85 Fox's headlights. Made out of glass and never ever had a problem.

Matthew

Quick Reply: Headlight cleaners?