Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How the hell do I keep a black car clean

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 04:06 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

polish. clay. wax. wax. wax. wax. wax. wax. Mucho waxo. and a little more wax. after every wash, wax your car. eventually you wont have to wax it anymore. and itll look clean even when its dirty. blacks difficult, i know!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
polish. clay. wax. wax. wax. wax. wax. wax. Mucho waxo. and a little more wax. after every wash, wax your car. eventually you wont have to wax it anymore. and itll look clean even when its dirty. blacks difficult, i know!
this advice wont help anyone. Every wax is different. Some waxes will have very poor durability and last about 2weeks. some will last very long and give you about 4-5months. Anything over 2coats is really useless and wont gain you anything after that. you CAN NOT ever wax enough that will never wax again. Just cause its waxed doesnt mean it will stay clean. some waxes have good anti dusting properties to help minimizes amount that will stick to the paint when just cruising around. others will make it worse and be like a magnet. Out of everything I have used the BEST wax to keep the car clean longer and dust free even after driving it is Zymol Glasur. It is my personal favorite wax out of all the ones I have owned or used.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Thundercloud

Well, I agree that Black looks awesome when it is new and clean. I have had a couple Black cars and a Black Dodge Ram and will never have a Black anything again.

My 2012 Mustang is White with Flat Black Stripes, and my 2012 Toyota Truck is Silver. Both have about 4 coats of Liquid Glass and I think it makes them shine like glass and repel dirt. You may want to give it a shot on your car, but I would be willing to bet that once you get rid of your black car, you won't own another one. LOL!!!

Good Luck with your quest to keep it clean!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 PM
emin
2nd Gear Member

I used to use quick detailer on my previous car. Cleaned off water spots like a champ
Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I wash my car when the sun is going down, this helps eliminate spotting as well. I wash my wheels first, using an old rag, soap/water and wheel cleaner. I dump the dirty water out of the bucket and put fresh water with maguiers car soap. Once I finish washing the car, I use a leaf blower to get the water off quickly, then I use micro fiber towels to dry it completely. Every few months, I will also apply Turtle black polish and spray Nano wax to add more of a shine and get the black back! As Emin stated above, quick detailer works great inbetween washes.
Black is a chore to keep clean. I just washed mine on Sunday and it rained on Tuesday and is all spotted up again. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by kevinmalec; 11-28-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Bill_GT

What's the best way to apply Zymol Glasur ? It says to warm it up and use palms of your hands?

Oh, and HI everyone. This is my first post and my new 2013 stang is Black.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:19 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I dont do any waxes by barehands. I feel there is to much risk of rough fingers or hands to scratch my paint. I dont warm it either just use a Red Foam lake country waxing pad and apply it normally. Just dont let Glasur dry its supposed to be applied then wiped right off. so only do panel at a time.

Last edited by 05xrunner; 11-29-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
I am already tired of cleaning my car - Two previous mustangs were white and silver; piece of cake.

Streaks after drying and water spots are kicking my butt.

What are you guys doing with your black cars?
Just keep it in the garage and only drive it in a bubble j/k

I love the look of a black car but they are so damn difficult to keep clean (and they show EVERYTHING) i opt not to own them...

Sorry I can't add anything more constructive.

Edit: I keep a bottle of Meguires Quik Detailer (like another poster here) and microfiber clothes in my car for when I need to get spots or bird crap off the car. Clean it only in the shade to minimize any streaking...
Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 AM
xtn

I once had this problem and then I figured it out. What I did was ... I didn't buy another black car ever again but I was CLOSE, I had the pen in my hand just had to sign and then I said what am I thinking. I went outside and decided to buy the car next to it. In all honesty it was due to the price difference.

Last edited by xtn; 12-04-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:49 PM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Mine always looks clean 20 feet away! Once in a while it goes through the auto wash, with the under body flush, and some spray wax. It gets washed/cleaned a little more frequently during winter road salt season.

It will get a new coat of Fire Glaze that has been reformulated and applied in a couple weeks. Then paint resealed in another 12+ plus months.

I have pretty easy and simple means of keeping mine clean. What's the big hub bub??/

Quick Reply: How the hell do I keep a black car clean