Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How the hell do I keep a black car clean

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:43 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Default How the hell do I keep a black car clean

I am already tired of cleaning my car - Two previous mustangs were white and silver; piece of cake.

Streaks after drying and water spots are kicking my butt.

What are you guys doing with your black cars?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:00 PM
ducatibrandon

I use quick detail-er in the dark red bottle after I wash it. I buy the 8 pack of soft wash cloths and toss them after they make it to rag status. It's a real pain in the *** to be honest.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:02 PM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

I would say get Turtle Wax Black Box kit and wax that baby to keep it that way for a while. You can spray it down with the hose if it does get dirty and the wax should stay in tact for a long while. Water just beads right off so rain isn't an issue except for windows!
Amazon Amazon
Heard lots of good things about this stuff
Old 09-01-2012, 11:03 PM
fedfireman
2nd Gear Member

Cali blade and a absorber cloth work wonders on streaks and water spots. But if your car is anything like mine, the ride home puts dirt ALL OVER the rear end.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ducatibrandon
I use quick detail-er in the dark red bottle after I wash it. I buy the 8 pack of soft wash cloths and toss them after they make it to rag status. It's a real pain in the *** to be honest.
My downfall is a 1500' gravel driveway.

I washed it today and had to go over the car three separate times to get rid of the spots and streaks from semi-semi damn microfiber cloth.

I even used the blower last time to dry it and that helped a little, but a few hours suck.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:08 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigD1515
I would say get Turtle Wax Black Box kit and wax that baby to keep it that way for a while. You can spray it down with the hose if it does get dirty and the wax should stay in tact for a long while. Water just beads right off so rain isn't an issue except for windows! http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-3.../dp/B001UMZ07A Heard lots of good things about this stuff
Buying now

I tried some wheel stuff from BMW that says you just rinse and badda bing badda boom. BS - spent 2 hours putting that stuff on, a week later I rinsed the wheels and nothing!

Brembo wheels are such a pain in the butt, too. The wheels take forever to clean.

Last edited by 99gtstang; 09-01-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fedfireman
Cali blade and a absorber cloth work wonders on streaks and water spots. But if your car is anything like mine, the ride home puts dirt ALL OVER the rear end.
Yep, dirt on top of decklid and bottom of wing.

Thanks for the info....The blade scares me...If a piece of dirt is stuck on it the "keyed" effect will sink in it seems.

Just bid on the cloth on ebay. Looks like a good product.

My gravel driveway kills it. Took me almost 5 minutes to get out today after the good cleaning.

Last edited by 99gtstang; 09-01-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:34 PM
5bites
1st Gear Member

I'm In the same boat. I've never had to deal with water spots before but this thing is killing me. One thing I've proven to myself is that the stupid spot free rinse at car washes actually works! I've never had to use it before until I bought this car. I used the Meguiars ultimate quik detailer for the first time this week. Seems to work well.

That gravel drive is gonna kill you no matter what though, especially as dry as it's been. Maybe some type of dry duster thing would work?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:51 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

I really don't think you can, unless you plan on keeping it in the garage and never taking it out.

Black is the best looking color clean, but that is a rare moment in time. It also shows flaws and dirt worse than any other color, and holds heat.

After my last black car, I will never buy a black car again. If I were you, I would just become less sensitive to those minor issues and live with it.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:01 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5bites
I'm In the same boat. I've never had to deal with water spots before but this thing is killing me. One thing I've proven to myself is that the stupid spot free rinse at car washes actually works! I've never had to use it before until I bought this car. I used the Meguiars ultimate quik detailer for the first time this week. Seems to work well.

That gravel drive is gonna kill you no matter what though, especially as dry as it's been. Maybe some type of dry duster thing would work?
Duster is a must need for the pollen when it comes.

Originally Posted by SD 197
I really don't think you can, unless you plan on keeping it in the garage and never taking it out.

Black is the best looking color clean, but that is a rare moment in time. It also shows flaws and dirt worse than any other color, and holds heat.

After my last black car, I will never buy a black car again. If I were you, I would just become less sensitive to those minor issues and live with it.
Likely the best solution lol.

The day I brought it home and parked it next to my wife's black SUV they looked like two different colors. She is on her 3rd black vehicle in the past 6 years and frankly, I just don't think I have ever noticed how dirty hers' have always been. I looked at her truck and it's just loaded with scratches and what not, but the stang is just different. It's new and us mustang folks are picky. Women are not really into keeping the cars clean like we are.

I agree, never again will I buy a black one When I first got it and posted some pix everyone told me I will regret it. LOL

Quick Reply: How the hell do I keep a black car clean