Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

What is the best wax?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

If you don't know what you're doing, go to Autogeek.net and read everything Mike Phillips has written.

The best car wax is 2% of what your paint looks like. 98% is prep and if you don't know what you're doing, $500 boutique wax won't do you any good.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Optimus485
1st Gear Member

Meguiars quick detailer, red bottle, best product ever.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

what the best wax? Why not just ask what is the best band. My advice, just keep trying them until you find one you like
Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

true buster! check out wet obsession
Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=The stang II;8210478]
Originally Posted by 8thman
Different waxes have different qualities, longevity, ease of application, resistance to yellowing, easy removal.
If you want the easiest application, best shine without risk of producing micro scratches
and no need to remove due to yellowing or flaking invest in a pure liquid non abrasive acrylic paint conditioner.
I may have to go that route once I remove the scratches, thanks.

Originally Posted by The stang II
What you may have done was "hid" the scratches. That wax you are using could contain fillers that mask the scratches.
Ya, I want to remove the scratches, not hide them!

Originally Posted by The stang II
You shouldn't be applying water with a wax either, it needs time to cure and when you apply water you are messing with the wax's properties and not allowing it to do its job.
Maybe when I was watching the detailers do my cycle, they were not waxing, but buffing... but they definitely were using water to keep the pad moist.

Originally Posted by buster
what the best wax? Why not just ask what is the best band. My advice, just keep trying them until you find one you like
Well, heh, interesting reply. Bands/music are subjective while waxes have a specific desired effect (shiny with no scratches). Some might like Turtle wax, but I'd venture to say that's not one of the better waxes...
Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Lol, I know, but the gist of the whole thing is that it's an opinion. PS, you guys can laugh all you want, but I use 3M paste wax and then cover it with NuFinish
Old 05-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Lol, I know, but the gist of the whole thing is that it's an opinion. PS, you guys can laugh all you want, but I use 3M paste wax and then cover it with NuFinish
NuFinish has abrasives in it. When you use it, you remove anything that's underneath. 3M Paste wax has mild abrasives, too.

You should top a sealant with a non-abrasive/non-cleaner wax.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:12 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

really? 3M by itself lasts about a month so I cover it with NuFinish, it lasts like the comercial says. I've been doing that for years and had good luck. maybe I should re think my strategy then...lol
Old 05-14-2013, 01:43 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

really? 3M by itself lasts about a month so I cover it with NuFinish, it lasts like the comercial says. I've been doing that for years and had good luck. maybe I should re think my strategy then...lol
Really. Any sealant or wax coating is only a few microns thick. If you layer it with a product that contains abrasives, you'll remove it.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 PM
mith
1st Gear Member

The store I went to only sold 3D stuff. I might give that a try.

Quick Reply: What is the best wax?