Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Buffer questino...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 04:08 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

Default Buffer questino...

Orbital buffers are considered, "safe"... but my question is this. If you off-set your buffing pad on your buffer, doesn't that have the same effect?

This might be an option (assuming that my assumption is correct) for those who don't want to buy both. Ultimately, the regular buffer (non-orbital) is the best method of obtaining the ultimate results assuming that one knows how to use it without damaging the paint.

Is my assumption accurate?
Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
SON1C
3rd Gear Member

Not exactly, a quick answer is simply forced rotation

take a rotary buffer and push down hard on a junk painted piece watch what happens...
now do it with your DA - dual action polisher, orbitals are junk I don't really consider DA's orbitals
Old 06-18-2013, 07:20 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SON1C
Not exactly, a quick answer is simply forced rotation

take a rotary buffer and push down hard on a junk painted piece watch what happens...
now do it with your DA - dual action polisher, orbitals are junk I don't really consider DA's orbitals
Sonic... you may not consider, "DA's" orbitals... but aren't they technically? Short of off-setting your pad on a regular buffer... anything with a pad that doesn't just "spin" on the center point of the middle of the pad and IS in fact, orbital by definition isn't it?

One example is, if you take a regular buffer where the pad is centered, it will spin in a circular motion with no off-set. BUT, if you take that same buffer and off-set the pad, you have effectively created and, "orbital" buffer because the pad is no longer centered and no longer just spins around the middle point of the circle., but has an, "orbital" motion... or an ellipse motion if you will. Orbital buffers have an "orbital" or, "ellipse" motion.

Does this make sense?