Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Detailing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
mith
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ford Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
you can use rotaries, but why? DA's are fool proof, you would have already paid for it by the cost of ruining your hoodscoop?
jmo though
Well now, you have a valid point... however (said the noobie)... if this is what professionals use, then that's what I'm going to use. If the other buffers worked better, the professionals would use them right?

Now if you're saying that the other buffers (DA's?) work just as well, then I'll reconsider using them.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
mith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: Communmity Volunteering, NRA Competitive Off Hand Shooting, Family, Golf
Default Have someone else do it for you

Can you afford to have a professional do it for you once a year. Buy a marine/saltwater quality exterior treatment product and have local detailer do it for you. It will last for a year+ in snow/salt country.
Glare.com, 130K miles, Orig. Owner
USAF Veteran
Old 06-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Redfire GT Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mith View Post
Well now, you have a valid point... however (said the noobie)... if this is what professionals use, then that's what I'm going to use. If the other buffers worked better, the professionals would use them right?

Now if you're saying that the other buffers (DA's?) work just as well, then I'll reconsider using them.
Well if you want to use a rotary, then go for it. Certainly no one should discourage you as rotaries do work very well. Just know that even when you know how to use it, it just takes one slip up to mess up your paint. It's one thing to learn how to use one and have some success, it's another to have years of experience to know you won't make a mistake. DAs do work just as well on most jobs, but maybe just not as fast. Rotaries are more aggressive so you can do more intensive work faster, but you can also damage easily. If you're just looking to clean up your car and take out some swirls, a DA most definitely works just as well as a rotary. If you do choose to use a rotary I'd seriously suggest you practice on something you don't mind damaging. If it's your first time you can probably count on putting some holograms in your paint.
1997 Mustang GT - GONE!

Last edited by AJ06GT; 06-17-2013 at 05:58 PM.
AJ06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
mith
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ford Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
you can use rotaries, but why? DA's are fool proof, you would have already paid for it by the cost of ruining your hoodscoop?
jmo though
Touché! Sonic, you're correct. But I think outside the box on this issue. If you want to learn to drive, you can start with a Pinto and work your way up knowing full well that the Pinto's not the best car, nor will you end up using it once you learn how to drive it. I have decided to start with the Ferrari and learn from my mistakes (and I've already made some BIG mistakes since I'm a noobie).

But once I learn to drive the Ferrari, the pay-off is going to be phenomenal! Once I learn from my mistakes, I'll already have the tools I need to do what I need to do properly and most effectively.

Having said that... some people can't afford to make the mistakes that I've made, so yea, they should get the, "error-free" buffers. But eventually, they'll want to advance and go to the next level. I feel that I have gotten pretty good with my buffer. I no longer screw up and mess up my paint.

Bottom line is this. If you want to be safe, get a DA buffer. But if you want to advance your "paint correction" skills, get the best quality buffer and learn how to use it. As I said before, you can always off-set the pad and effectively make your regular buffer, a DA or orbital buffer.
mith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:40 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement