Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Fixing bad scratches (pic and link heavy)

Old 08-18-2013, 06:30 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Antonio323
Hey, wcgman! I wanted to ask, were the terry cloths the only ones you used on your buffer? Or did you alternate between the applicator bonnet and terry cloths? Also, I purchased Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, would you recommend that I also buy their Ultimate Polish to hit it with that after the compound? Thanks in advance!
I only used the terry cloth bonnets. You absolutely will need to polish after you get the scratches out, so yeah. Again...if you haven't watched those videos I'd highly recommend it. That little investment of time can make a world of difference between getting the scratches out, not getting them out, or hosing your paint.

I'm pretty sure I recall you saying this was on your ride that has paint already in good shape. If you're trying this on a car that has old, worn out paint...its probably not going to work. I had my sister in law bring over her older F150 (95?) because someone church keyed it. The clear was so thin that I really couldnt do anything for her, but she wanted me to try anyway. We gave it a shot and she wanted me to teach her how to do this stuff. She ended up going through the clear in a very small spot which I told her could happen with paint in that kind of shape. She said it was fine...I still felt bad and she asked me to finish. I did what I could and luckily didn't go through anymore clear coat, but I made her leave it with me. After she left, I had some clear coat from another project, so I pulled all the badges, prepped and resprayed with 8 coats of clear, baked, wet sanded, buffed and polished all weekend. It ended up better than when she brought it, but it was definitely not worth the effort for the return. So she has a tailgate that gleams more than the rest of her pickup, still has some old paint scratches and scuffs underneath a bunch of clear which she'll never get out. I wasn't keen on doing the job anyway, but her grandmother had passed away 3 days before this (they were very close), she was having trouble at work, family issues at home... She says she's happy with the work that was done. At least she doesn't have to worry about the tailgate rusting out!

Moral of that long winded story - be very careful and don't try this if your cars paint is old an worn out.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the response! I'll be polishing the car for the first time, I'm looking to get rid of the many swirl marks. I don't think I'll try removing the scratches cuz some of them are too deep and cuz I don't feel up to the challenge at this point in time. I've been watching several videos lately, and the Meguiar's DA buffer looks like a nice piece. I just don't know if I should get it right now seeing as how I just spent the money I saved up on paying my school fees.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Antonio323
Thanks for the response! I'll be polishing the car for the first time, I'm looking to get rid of the many swirl marks. I don't think I'll try removing the scratches cuz some of them are too deep and cuz I don't feel up to the challenge at this point in time. I've been watching several videos lately, and the Meguiar's DA buffer looks like a nice piece. I just don't know if I should get it right now seeing as how I just spent the money I saved up on paying my school fees.
True dat. School should always come first. It pays off much better in the future!