Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Chrome cleaner on brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Default Chrome cleaner on brakes

Hey folks,

I've made a rookie mistake. I used McGuiars chrome wheel cleaner, which for the record kicked heiney on my chrome rims. They have never looked better...

But my mistake was in not being careful with my spraying. I sprayed some onto the brake rotor and calipers, and onto the interior of the rim. It has corroded everything. The rim shows a pitted white residue, and the brakes turned an ugly rusted red. The rotor was cleaned off simply by using the brakes, but the calipers still look terrible.

I've had trouble searching for info on how to correct this mistake. Does anyone know what needs to be done at this point? Will I have to remove the wheels? Polish/brush the rims to remove the corrosion? Scrub the calipers? Or is there any other magic formula I can spray on there which might dissolve away the layer of corrosion?

And for educational purposes, is aluminum wheel cleaner safer to use? From what I am understanding, it's a weaker cleaner as aluminum is softer than chrome, so aluminum cleaner may be safe for chrome wheels and those interior parts? It just might not dissolve away the grime as well since it's weaker... But chrome cleaner is stronger and is definitely not safe for aluminum wheels and those interior parts?

Thanks guys
Old 08-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

I'm not the only noob to have done this, am I? Or is it just that my fellow noobs who have done this too also have not learned how to fix it?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:50 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Chrome cleaner and aluminum cleaners are basically buffered acids with fine abrasive particles, typically aluminum oxide. If you apply acid to a surface you get oxidation, when this surface is iron based, you get rust. Aluminum oxidizes white and steel oxidizes red. In order to neutralize the chrome cleaner, first, apply some of the cleaner to a rag and wipe the oxidized surfaces. You can also use a solution of vinegar in water. You need to dissolve the oxidization. Then take a soap solution, which is an alkaline solution, and clean the same area. This will stop the oxidizing from the acid, and neutralize the acid. flush with water. Then use your metal polish.

Acids clean very well, but any pores in the metal will oxidize, so always follow up an acid rinse or wipe with an alkaline (soap) rinse or wipe, then a water rinse or wipe. You must protect these surfaces with a wax or sealer, otherwise the oxidization will return.