Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

clay bar important question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:37 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Default clay bar important question...

Well i clayed my car yesterday as their was "blackspots" all over the car, assuming it was tar. Not too bad, but im a clean freak and every speck had to be out. Long story short car looks great, but some spots i forgot to use the detailer to the lubricate the bar and kind of just ran the bar over real quick to get a speck or 2.

Now im left with minor "scuff" marks so to say? im not sure how to describe it, but im really worried ive taken the clearcoat off. is this possible? or am i worrying too much and a good buff can take these marks out?

Im hoping its just residue caked on from the bar but ive washed it again and polished/waxed the car and the scuffs remain...So i have no clue where i stand, any help?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

update: couldnt sleep or rest knowing it was like this. went outside with turtle wax bug and tar remover and lightly cleaned the spots first, then i took a wax applicator pad with adams hand revive polish and went to work. applied a dime size spot of polish over the faded spots and worked it into the paint until there was no polish left. some spots required this 2 or 3 three times, but after i got the shine back. now the paint is flawless and im happy it just needed a quick buff and polish to get it back to where it should be!

hope this helps anybody who had a similar problem!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default Roanstang

Good to hear you got it fixed, I want to clay mine for the 1st time. It has 17,300 miles
and does not look like it needs it. Never clayed a new car before.
Attached Thumbnails clay bar important question...-tn_dscn0078.jpg  
Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

ill tell you man, my car only has 4,000 miles on it. the paint itself is showroom condition but before i clayed it it had black specs, everywhere. Road tar, grime, bugs, etc. I suggest you go for it.

Just wash and dry, clay the car (use plenty of lubrication.. who care how much you go through, make sure it comes out perfect)..take your time, if you drop the clay get a NEW piece. then a good hand polish and then wax. You wont believe how many contaminants are on your car right now!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:29 AM
BTR-75
1st Gear Member

As xx10Gt mentioned, use liberal, very liberal amounts of lubrication to avoid issues.

Make sure the car is as clean as possible prior to claying.

Don't tackle too large an area, trying to work a large area will cause issues.

If you drop the clay, THROW IT AWAY.

When reforming your patty, push the area you just used towards the center of the mass of clay then reform the patty. You want to surround the contaminants you just pulled off, not reapply them to the car.

Good article here on the process --> http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...se-a-clay-bar/
Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I tired playdoh on mine but it just kept falling apart. I guess not all clays are alike after all!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:46 AM
BTR-75
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
I tired playdoh on mine but it just kept falling apart. I guess not all clays are alike after all!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:21 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BTR-75
Haha - I'm foolin. If I had thought about it though, I would have had some playdoh staged when I was showing my sister how to detail a car
Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

lol, play dough, clay... same thing haha
Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Stephen Friese

this is the best stuff I've ever used. Pricey, but worth it. You'd need an orbital polisher for it and 3M waffle pads. It won't disappoint.
Total Dry Use Compound (1 L) by Farecla. 09118009 : Amazon.com : Automotive Total Dry Use Compound (1 L) by Farecla. 09118009 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Quick Reply: clay bar important question...