Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Detailing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Mustang V6
Default paint transfer on plastic bumper

Someone apparently scraped the corner of my bumper, over the turn signal lamp and a little forward of that. There is beige paint on my deep impact blue.

It seems to be coming off with vigorous rubbing with a wet microfiber towel, but some won't come off this way. I don't want to damage it. Any product/technique I should apply? How about this stuff?

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...q=MEG+ULTRA+32

There is no black showing, though I can't see through the worst of the beige paint, right at the top edge of the bumper.

I thought when I got home I'd find a scrape on the carport post, which is painted beige, but I can find no damage. So I don't see how I did this. And I avoid parking next to anyone if I don't have to. I have no idea where this happened. The damage was facing a sidewalk when I found it on my way out of work, so it must have happened elsewhere without me noticing. That carport post seemed likely, but it's un-damaged.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
amyhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

I think I got it all, with this stuff:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4580

I grabbed some microfiber cloths went to Oreilly before I ran out of daylight and tried it right in their parking lot.

With all that paint and no damage it must have been something that wasn't clearcoated...like that post. Damned if I can find any evidence that I hit it, though.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 GT500 07 GT vert

Now you will want to hit the area with polish to get a nice solid shine and reflection and then wax the panel, assuming it's clean too. I would recommend you stick with meguiars too, but try to find the Mirror Glaze line (it's like the stuff you put in your first post) of the meguiars. The stuff in just the regular red MG bottles tend to have a little lower quality than I personally care to use.

It could be from the post in the car port cuz maybe it's a got a thick coat of paint and latex / water based so perhaps a little soft?

wcgman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Now you got me buying the tan bottle products I'll need a cordless polisher, too...
Old 08-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 GT500 07 GT vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhughes View Post
Now you got me buying the tan bottle products I'll need a cordless polisher, too...
Whoa now...I must warn you. Meguiars products are like the maryjane. It's a gateway into a dark realm from which there is no return!

wcgman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

It just occurred to me that I have a warehouse with bay door available to me. If there's water available outside for a wash, I have an un-rushed, air conditioned place to polish and wax my car.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Took a close look, wearing glasses, in daylight. There are scratches. I got some more of them out with the ScratchX, but there are some I can't get. Very minor. If this is the worst that happens to my bumper I'll be happy. And maybe I can get the rest out with those tan bottle products.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:03 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement