Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Detailed the paint, I'd say she looks pretty nice...

Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

What sealant did you use? and how much?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Great. Now it'll rain...
I'm fine when it rains actually. Water bead is awesome. I hate it when it rains and then is dry the next day though, because then it looks dirty
Old 09-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by audioAl
What sealant did you use? and how much?
Ultima Paint Guard Plus. Was about $20 for a 4oz bottle, and that is enough to last you basically forever. Zaino ZCS with the accelerator lasts a little longer, but takes longer to apply and is more expensive. I'd rather just throw a coat of Ultima on every month or two, long before it wears off. It only takes maybe 15-30 minutes to do the whole car, so...
Old 09-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
How many bars of clay did you go through? Hahaha that crap is expensive.
Clay is usually good for a while, so I'm still using that clay bar. Ricardo is expensive though, because it's banned from the U.S., so you have to find someone you know in Canada to buy it then ship it to you. It's worth it though, the stuff is WAY better than the clay sold in the U.S.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Nice job! It's always a beautiful sight to see a black car with so much shine. So did you use the burgundy pads with compound and the yellow-polish with the Meg's buffer? Reason I ask is because I bought the same buffer and didn't achieve the results I expected. I was only successful in removing light swirls, but the heavier swirls remained in my paint. I only used the yellow pads, so I was thinking that maybe I have to use the burgundy pads to get a deeper cut.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Antonio323
Nice job! It's always a beautiful sight to see a black car with so much shine. So did you use the burgundy pads with compound and the yellow-polish with the Meg's buffer? Reason I ask is because I bought the same buffer and didn't achieve the results I expected. I was only successful in removing light swirls, but the heavier swirls remained in my paint. I only used the yellow pads, so I was thinking that maybe I have to use the burgundy pads to get a deeper cut.
You're on the right track. I had the exact same issue my first time detailing her. I learned two things... I was too gentle with the buffer (in fear of burning the paint), and I didn't let the diminishing particles break down enough.

Basically, you'll want to do it all over again, but spend more time on the paint with the buffer. Meguiars products use diminishing particles that don't really cut the way you need them to unless you're patient.

The pads weren't your issue. The black pad will cut a little more than the yellow one, that's the only difference.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

However you should use the black pads next time to speed up the process.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Looks amazing! I have never owned a black vehicle.....too much work. LOL
My neighbor has a black Dodge Durango, after he washes it and details it, 10 minutes later it looks dusty.
No thanks!
I would go crazy
Old 09-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vegasrph98
Looks amazing! I have never owned a black vehicle.....too much work. LOL
My neighbor has a black Dodge Durango, after he washes it and details it, 10 minutes later it looks dusty.
No thanks!
I would go crazy
Thanks! Yeah, black cars suck. It's especially bad that where I park, it gets covered in pollen overnight. Have to dust it off everyday. Thank God for sealant, makes it easier to clean at least.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:22 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Great job and thanks for sharing your details. Car looks great.

Black looks amazing when it's done right, but it drives me crazy trying to keep it spotless. :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Detailed the paint, I'd say she looks pretty nice...