Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How do you keep your paint looking new?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 01:52 PM
runstang22
1st Gear Member

McGuires products are usually best. Wash, wax and buff. Avoid those ones labeled "easy" or "no dry" or "wax and wax in one" products. Get a nice soft sponge and use a separate one for the wheels and tires and bottom of the car. Before wax but after wash, use clay bar. If you really want to go all out theres a product called Farcla TOTAL car care. Its expensive but get the buffer out and use this. Then get some swirl remover and go over it afterward. Then put on 2 coats of wax. In between waxes (every 3 -6 months) put on some quick detailer after you wash.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:34 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default Roanstang shines

I'm on the San Antonio Bay and two bucket wash by hand and wax once a month. Roanstang is my d/d.I just bought
EuroTech 7000 Polish/glaze and will cleaner wax by Meguires then polish with a variable speed polisher. The speed at which
you polish is something I'm reading up on.
Attached Thumbnails How do you keep your paint looking new?-tn_rv-and-river-003.jpg  

Last edited by audioAl; 12-26-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
**** man, let's plan something. Nuke and I are supposed to hook up as well...
Talked about it a while back but failed to sinc our schedules.
I'm in North Carolina and fly into Tampa on Thursday nights and back out on Sunday nights. Sorry, Pascal, but it's been one F***king thing after another since we moved to Florida.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:45 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

You're going to need a porter cable 7424xp.

You're going to need it. Trust me.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:18 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I keep the mustang in the garage mostly. I never park it anywhere it might get dinged. I don't drive it on really windy days (cause around here windy days mean 40 - 50 MPH winds) I don't drive it in rain, I don't drive it on anything but hardtop.

I keep it clean, use microfiber towels and double wax it twice a year.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:26 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Unfortunately my garage is full so I have to keep the Mustang outside. However, I do keep a car cover on it. If you use a car cover, (especially if the car sits outside) make sure you wipe the car down before you put the car cover on it each time you drive it. I use a microfiber towel and McGuires Detailing Spray or sometimes I use a California Duster for this. Seems like a lot of hassel, but when you get people to ask you how you keep your car so looking new, then you know it was well worth it. Just yesterday when I was out driving, I had a guy next to me at a light saying really loud, "Hey, you have my car!" I said so you must have one like it? He replied back, "No, it's one like I've always wanted." Another tip on the car cover, a good one with a warranty is best because after about 8 months, the material will break down and leave dust particles on the car. You simply notify the company and they will send you another one.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Look up "Junkman2000" on YouTube.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

never drive in rain
garaged all the time
give it a full wax polish after EVERY drive out.
my stang stays pristine all the time
Old 12-18-2013, 04:08 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Unfortunately my garage is full so I have to keep the Mustang outside. However, I do keep a car cover on it. If you use a car cover, (especially if the car sits outside) make sure you wipe the car down before you put the car cover on it each time you drive it. I use a microfiber towel and McGuires Detailing Spray or sometimes I use a California Duster for this. Seems like a lot of hassel, but when you get people to ask you how you keep your car so looking new, then you know it was well worth it. Just yesterday when I was out driving, I had a guy next to me at a light saying really loud, "Hey, you have my car!" I said so you must have one like it? He replied back, "No, it's one like I've always wanted." Another tip on the car cover, a good one with a warranty is best because after about 8 months, the material will break down and leave dust particles on the car. You simply notify the company and they will send you another one.
How does this work if the car just has a little dust on it? Does it clean up nice and remove the dust with no scratch?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
How does this work if the car just has a little dust on it? Does it clean up nice and remove the dust with no scratch?
Depends on what the dust particles are. If it's dirt dust that has blown on your car from a nearby dirt road, then I would spray or wash the car down. You don't want dirt or debris to get into the fibers of the car cover...it could scratch your finish.
If it's fine dust....like powder, then you could use a microfiber cloth with Detailing Spray. Just don't put so much pressure when wiping off.

Quick Reply: How do you keep your paint looking new?