Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How do you keep your paint looking new?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I use this as a DD and I live in an apartment so putting a cover on my car, or keeping it in a garage is not possible. I am looking for a home though and a garage is a must for me, so I can have a place for my tools and to keep my baby. I also think I am going to buy a cheap 4cylinder truck as a DD so that I can really start modding.

Anyways I am just posting an update, I clay bar for the first time in my life. It took some time but man is that stuff awesome. It also cleaned up all the overspray I had from my plasti dip race stripe (I took off before washing). I then used a "detailer" wax to remove some small scratches and swirl marks (the stuff really did work), then I applied a normal wax/ Took me over 3 hours but wow is she sparkling!

Couple of photos

Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Shadow34606

Default How to was my 2012 Shelby GT500

This post is to ask anybody if they know how to wash and wax a 2012 Shelby GT500 mustang, I just bought the 2012 Shelby GT 500 a couple days ago, it has the black Matted racing stripes on it. I could see dust particles all over the car, I want to find out what kind of cloth do I use for I don't scratch the paint, and also what kind of wax do I use for I don't get the swirly marks all over the car. Any help would be great thank you
Old 01-28-2014, 10:37 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Hi shadow, if you read this thread you will find all the answers you need (your car is not relevant as this addresses most paint jobs in general) . Anyways, if you do research as I did (through this forum and other sources) that you will need a clean clear coat in order to have an effective wax. You will see that "clay bar" will allow you to achieve this. Wash your car nice as you usually would, use micro fiber cloths on your car. If its dusty you need to go ahead and wash her down because you can't be sure if the previous owner had it waxed. Once she's washed and dry, use a clay bar and detailed spray (comes with the clay bar and will be used with wax so good deal) the clay bar will take your car from "I think it's clean" to "holy crap everyone look how clean this is" it will change the feeling of the paint, it removes the impurities in your clear coat without scratching. Once this is done you now have a truly clean clear coat for the wax to adhere to. If you do not have swirl marks or scratches use a regular wax, choose your brand. If you have scratches and swirls marks use a detailed wax on those areas and a regular wax over everything else. With a proper wax on a car that has been "clay barred?" You will have a wax that lasts a while. I did it this weekend as posted above and it's made a huge difference. I had swirl marks etc and I thought my paint was good before. We are starting to have a slight winter storm (damn thing reached all the way in south Texas) and my car isn't garage kept. So far my car keeps whipping clean like I've never experienced before. Do your research and you will see that it verifys what I say.

Btw gongrats on the sweet ride