Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Wax and vinyl stripes question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Default Wax and vinyl stripes question...

I'm considering adding some matte black vinyl stripes to my new GT. I was wondering, how does one wax a car with vinyl decals? Will the way ruin the vinyl?

Also, how long should I go before I get the car waxed for the first time? One person told me to wait and get it done before the winter.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:59 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

I would get as close to the vinyl as you could. I might even go as far as putting some masking tape on the edge of the vinyl. The wax gets on the edge and turns white and looks like crap in time.

Wax your car right away to protect the paint, but definitely don't clay it. In time (like the fall) clay it to get the crap out of the paint. But you have to let it cure (harden) Some people on here will try to tell you to clay it right away. I asked my buddy who is a class A body man who has prepped cars for car shows and he said definitely do not clay new paint.

I just noticed you were putting matte black on it. Definitely keep wax away from the vinyl then. You might want to tape it off to prevent some accidents with the wax. However if you do get wax on the matte or even on your weather stripping I use a product called GooGone which if they sell it where you live will take it right off. Otherwise find a bodyshop supply company and tell them what you are looking for.

Last edited by buster; 04-24-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by buster
I would get as close to the vinyl as you could. I might even go as far as putting some masking tape on the edge of the vinyl. The wax gets on the edge and turns white and looks like crap in time.

Wax your car right away to protect the paint, but definitely don't clay it. In time (like the fall) clay it to get the crap out of the paint. But you have to let it cure (harden) Some people on here will try to tell you to clay it right away. I asked my buddy who is a class A body man who has prepped cars for car shows and he said definitely do not clay new paint.

I just noticed you were putting matte black on it. Definitely keep wax away from the vinyl then. You might want to tape it off to prevent some accidents with the wax.
Cool. I was considering painter's tape maybe to mask the stripes. I think I'll roll with it then. I've got a local shop that will install the stripes for me if I buy them from American Muscle.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Factory new paint isn't the same as paint shop new paint. For one thing, that puppy was painted a while ago, not last week. It was applied very differently, too. I'd go ahead and clay it. The vinyl will have a much smoother surface to stick to. If you've never clayed a car, you'll be shocked at the difference. Definitely do the painter's tape over the strips to wax. Especially matte stripes. And, some vinyl doesn't hold up well to wax, even it was glossy vinyl.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:34 PM
scottmoyer

I agree. Clay the car whenever you want. A body shop will paint the car and allow it to cure over time. The factory sprays the car on the line and it gets baked on which cures the paint faster. The transportation of the car form the factory will have either exhaust fallout from a truck transporter or rail dust from the trains. Both get into the paint immediately.

Buy a good clay. There are different grades, so be sure to get one that matches the condition of the paint. If the car is new, you won't need an aggressive clay. Also, be careful with tape on the vinyl. The vinyl is still new and can lift at the edges if your not careful removing the tape. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2014, 01:53 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

I prefer the word of somebody who does this for a living (like a class A body man) not a hobbyist. Paint (even factory) takes approx. 6 monthes to cure. You two are giving bad advice. What you do with clay is you are removing some of the clearcoat. Which leaves it scuffed. Clay bars are used to remove contaminants like sap or fine dirt. They are not for buffing. Then you are putting wax over the finely scuffed paint.

PS. body shops bake paint too

Last edited by buster; 04-26-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:22 AM
scottmoyer

Factory paint does not take six months to cure. You are incorrect in your statement. The factory paint is baked at 275*, so it is fully cured/hardened before the car leaves the factory. If that wasn't the case, then the factory couldn't apply decals and stripes! Decals and stripes would prevent the paint from curing causing defects in the paint underneath. The factory wouldn't open themselves up to repaint liability should someone remove the decals or stripes.

You can clay a brand new car without issue. There is a dealer in Orlando with a GT500 on the floor taped down the middle. They have a box of gloves to feel each half of the car. One half is untreated, the other half has been clay barred and paint protected. Dealers also sell paint sealant. A sealant is just that. You can't seal an uncured paint. It will cause paint issues.

I like how you state that we are giving bad advice when your advice isn't even yours, it's from your "class A body man", which by the way is incorrect that a factory paint requires 6 months to cure.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by buster
I asked my buddy who is a class A body man who has prepped cars for car shows and he said definitely do not clay new paint.
THIS is probably correct. For the brand new paint the body man is putting on, I'd let it cure too. But, as for factory paint, it's a whole other beast. Not something the body man will be applying. So, if he was talking about the new paint he puts on, this is totally correct.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:45 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Back to ur original question...I have matte/flat black stripes on my car. Really like them.

My advice is this:
1) order some matte spray from chemical guys
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical...spi_995_16.htm

This stuff will clean, maintain, and protect ur matte vinyl. !!Watch their videos!! They explain it all. I use and love it. There's no silicone or oils in it I think, so it can not cause the stripes to be shiny. Just matte black. Keeps the stripes from aging prematurely under the sun. Basically "wax" for matte vinyl.

As for waxing, when I wax I just get really close to the stripe and then buff it off when it's ready. Then I apply the matte spray to treat the stripes and take care of any wax that may be on the edges.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:37 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cema93
Back to ur original question...I have matte/flat black stripes on my car. Really like them.

My advice is this:
1) order some matte spray from chemical guys
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical...spi_995_16.htm

This stuff will clean, maintain, and protect ur matte vinyl. !!Watch their videos!! They explain it all. I use and love it. There's no silicone or oils in it I think, so it can not cause the stripes to be shiny. Just matte black. Keeps the stripes from aging prematurely under the sun. Basically "wax" for matte vinyl.

As for waxing, when I wax I just get really close to the stripe and then buff it off when it's ready. Then I apply the matte spray to treat the stripes and take care of any wax that may be on the edges.
Thanks! I'll check out this product!

Quick Reply: Wax and vinyl stripes question...