Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Which Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:10 PM
allblackgt

Default Which Wax?

So I'm working on getting my ride all ready for summer and I've been working on detailing the past week or so. I have a good selection of products I've accumulated over the past year. I'm having a hard time deciding which wax would be the best for my car. My car is black and It doesn't see much sunlight It stays in my garage under a car cover and I'll probably only put 2,000 miles on this summer. The wax's I have to pick from are all meguiar's I have Ultimate liquid wax, Gold Class liquid, NXT generation tech wax 2.0, Professional Hi-Tech yellow wax liquid, and Hi-Tech yellow wax paste. What do you guys think? I'm looking for a really high gloss finish. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 PM
DAD_23
1st Gear Member

This:
http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-we...d-sealant.html
Old 04-28-2014, 11:09 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

I love my meguiars ultimate liquid wax. easy on, easy off. i have also used NXT and Gold Class. just have a thing for the ULW
Old 05-07-2014, 01:54 PM
BigWave916
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cema93
I love my meguiars ultimate liquid wax. easy on, easy off. i have also used NXT and Gold Class. just have a thing for the ULW
X2....used ULW on my Cobra this weekend and loved the results.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:46 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I seem to be getting the best results from the NXT2 as well. I tried the gold paste but the gloss just wasn't there.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:56 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

yer gonna get 40 different answers with 40 different products
Old 05-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Surf City Garage
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by buster
yer gonna get 40 different answers with 40 different products
That's a really fair statement! Everyone has their favorite wax for their own reasons. A few things to think about when choosing a wax:
  • Paste Wax will always offer longer durability and better depth to paint vs a Liquid Wax.
  • Since Wax essentially surfs the paint/clear coat, a Paste will be taller in a sense, thus providing more protection and in most cases, that "wet" look a lot of us are always after.
  • From a good Paste Wax, one should expect between 3-5 months longevity before having to either add another coat or strip the finish and start all the way over.
  • A good Liquid Wax will usually never last more than 2 months before having to add another coat or stripping the finish and starting over.
  • Liquid waxes will always be easier to apply, as they aren't as hard as Pastes, are indeed liquid, and therefore tend to be thinner on the surface when applying and removing. Pastes, although harder to apply and remove in most cases, at the end of the day, will give you a better looking car.

I just finished a Bullitt last week with a Prototype Paste Wax from Surf City Garage. I have used some pretty expensive Pastes in my days detailing as well as some of the cheaper ones. This stuff rates up there with the most expensive I have used.

Name:  SAM_3640_zps9554d894.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  226.5 KB
Old 05-08-2014, 11:08 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

That picture makes a pretty solid sell
Old 05-09-2014, 04:05 PM
fidencio74
1st Gear Member

X2, Is it going to be available for sell?
Old 05-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Surf City Garage
Former Sponsor

We are expecting the Pro Paste to be out some time around mid-July. In the mean time, SCG Enthusiast Grade Barrier Reef Carnauba is a great over the counter Paste Wax that is already out and can be found in some auto parts stores.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Which Wax?