Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Spray only leather conditioner/cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:50 PM
RenGen
Banned

Default Spray only leather conditioner/cleaner?

Is there anything anyone can recommend that I can just spray all over my leather seats to keep them in good shape? I found a few leather conditioners that require you to spray then buff with a soft towel or applicator sponge, but is there anything you can just spray your seats with?

also was wondering, when you clean/condition, do you just do the seat and the back support or do you do the whole seat, headrest, back of seat, etc..? I notice that people who have cracked seats, its usually the seat part...

Last edited by RenGen; 07-27-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

To be clear, is it too much for you to wipe off something?

Generally you'd spray the seat and then rub it in / wipe off excess with a towel. Spraying leather and doing nothing isn't very productive and would yield horrible results. How hard is it to wipe a seat?

The seat part gets the most wear and tear. Please note, only the middle section of your seat is leather - the rest is vinyl.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:55 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

only the middle section is leather
i use leather oil on that part and amoural on the sides and backs..
u need to keep the plastic parts supple otherwise they will crack...
never use any leather treatment on the sides and backs
Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

leather conditioners are really meant for traditionally tanned hide. Automotive "leather" is sealed with so much polymer and synthetic crap that it might as well not be leather. just clean it like you would anything else.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Surf City Garage
Former Sponsor

Typically Interior Conditioners are meant to be applied and then have the excess residue removed so that the surface doesn't remain greasy and can dry. I don't know of any "spray on walk away and it'll be ok" interior spray. There are a couple out that both clean and condition at the same time, and are as simple as spraying and wiping.

Surf City Professional Interior Quick Detailer was designed for all interior plastics, leather, and the like. I wouldn't use it on nav screens, instrument cluster gauges or seat inserts. There are different methods to clean those.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:55 PM
RenGen
Banned

thanks for the replies guys, I ended up getting a meguire product and It was so easy and quick I can't believe I've been putting it off all these years out of fear, and the results are amazing! my seats looks a lot more darker and pretty much looks brand new

question though, when I sit/move around in my seat it makes a squeaky like noise now, is that normal?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Surf City Garage
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RenGen
thanks for the replies guys, I ended up getting a meguire product and It was so easy and quick I can't believe I've been putting it off all these years out of fear, and the results are amazing! my seats looks a lot more darker and pretty much looks brand new

question though, when I sit/move around in my seat it makes a squeaky like noise now, is that normal?
Try taking a microfiber towel and wiping down the seat a little bit, as there may be a little too much product on the seat causing the "squeakerbox".