Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

First time wash and wax...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:23 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

For what it's worth I use the liquid wax as I find it easier to apply and I like the results.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:53 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
You should read and make product purchases based off of what your research tells you is best for: your budget, your habits, your preferences, your needs and your car. Meguiars has their own online forum that is a treasure trove of information.
Agreed!

To the OP:

It all depends on what you're looking for as an "end result"
There are a TON of products out there from the low-grade/every day consumer products to the commercial/professional products. Some of it is going to be test and trial. The way this industry has evolved lately, you're going to start seeing more and more synthetic products because they are easier to produce as the chemicals are all "commercially available" and are all EPA/VOC compliant.

Don't be afraid to try a few different products until you find something that fits with your washing habits and time allotment for beautifying your car.

Definitely recommend Meguiar's products as they have been at it a very long time and are constantly evolving their product lines.

Products from Obsessive Detail and Poorboys World are great products as well and a little more cost friendly.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:23 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

GLOCKer,

The biggest disadvantage you have is a black car. It will show every imperfection, but look like a million $$$$ when cleaned & maintained properly.

Here is an example of what you are up against. We used Meguiar's Microfiber DA system on this car back in April and despite some angry geese seeing their reflection in the car and pecking the crap out of it a few weeks ago, it's still holding 70% or better of its luster.

This was a 2 stage rebuild (compound/polish), then waxed and a coat of Opti-seal.

BEFORE PIC: You can see all the swirling under LED lighting
Name:  IMG_20140322_125758_615_zps37891021.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  33.7 KB

AFTER COMPOUND:

AFTER POLISH:
Name:  IMG_20140322_130908_141_zps3801dacd.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  30.9 KB

WAXED & SEALED:
Name:  IMG_20140322_180826_751_zpse372bbe9.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  45.0 KB

IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT: No swirls! The spots you see are actually pollen. It was pretty bad when we pulled the car out of the garage and was covering everything faster than you could clean it off!
Name:  IMG_20140412_145314_544_zps111db6e6.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  42.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20140412_145101_716_zps89f0c300.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  39.7 KB

Last edited by steel pony; 08-24-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:16 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Wow...you have done an amazing job with your black paint.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:22 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I'm looking to get that deep look to the paint but using stuff I can purchase at the local auto parts store. I know, they don't offer the highest quality products, but they are in the price and time frame for me (I'm looking at taking off of work this Friday to lavish attention on my car all day and can't wait for a product to ship to me).

I'm going to return the chamois and turtle wax on Monday. I also goofed and bought Mequairs wash and wax. So I'm going to buy a car wash without the wax, a polisher, a synthetic wax, and a better drying clothe.

My plan is to get up at my regular time Friday (0600) and get right on detailing the car. I'm going to start on the engine bay, then wash the car, wash the wheels and tires, dry the car and put it in the garage, clay bar the car, polish the car, then wax it.

The next question is; should I get something to buff the car with or hand buff it?????
Old 08-24-2014, 03:55 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

GLOCKer,

The results shown in the picture were using a dual action buffer. A good one is going to cost you upwards of $120. You'll need pads, backing plates, etc.
You can get an "ok" one at Harbor Freight for maybe $70.
Not sure how long you've had the car, but the other thing you will be dealing with is dealer car lot neglect. No telling how long the car sat there, etc.
Unfortunately, you won't be able to get the results pictured by hand.You just won't be able to generate enough even pressure/friction to cut and polish effectively.

Since this it the first time giving the car a proper bath, i would concentrate on decontaminating the paint first and getting it to a point where it can be maintained effectively and regularly.

wash it, clay it, wash it again then add your waxes, etc.
The 2nd wash may seem unnecessary, but you're attempting to pull out as much dirt, rail dust, grime, you name it, that has been sitting on the car since you took it off the lot.

Enjoy spending time with the car. You'll get all of it down with some practice and time =)
Old 08-24-2014, 08:23 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Steel! I bought my car new April 18, 2014 (the day after the Mustang 50th!), but it was manufactured October 2013, so it sat on the lot for a while. In fact, when I found the car online, on the dealer's website, the car had snow on it in the photos!

It sounds like I'm going to be spending SEVERAL hours cleaning my car this Friday! That's not a problem though. Right after I graduated from college back in 2003, I was washing my neighbors cars (I was luck enough to get in an apartment near my university for non-college students; these people had money and nice cars and only used their apartments for as their game-day tailgate spots). I really enjoyed "learning the curves" of their cars.

As far as cleaning my motor; any issues lightly spraying off the motor with water???
Old 08-24-2014, 10:53 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Come on, man. You are making this out to be way more complicated. You've got to read up on your own...it's not practical to ask us to rewrite dozens of how-to articles in one thread just because you don't want to do any research on your own. As I suggested before, go to Meguiars forums and read up. Heck, read up on the forums here while you are at it.

I say again, you are making this way too complicated. In regards to your buffing question...do you want to do this all by hand or do you want to buy a machine to speed things up? It's that simple.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:48 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Come on, man. You are making this out to be way more complicated. You've got to read up on your own...it's not practical to ask us to rewrite dozens of how-to articles in one thread just because you don't want to do any research on your own. As I suggested before, go to Meguiars forums and read up. Heck, read up on the forums here while you are at it.

I say again, you are making this way too complicated. In regards to your buffing question...do you want to do this all by hand or do you want to buy a machine to speed things up? It's that simple.
Everything I've read up on, on multiple forums, is contradictory. Even the how-to articles are contradictory! I'm hoping to hear what works for you guys and simplify it down to one place/one source of info.

And if I'm making it over complicated, it might be because of the horror stories I've read after people have detailed their cars incorrectly and damaged the finish on them!

I've poked around on that Mequiars forum a little but my access is a little limited until moderator approved.

As for the buffer; people seem to have one of two opinions: it's either the best tool ever for everybody for car detailing, or it's the worst tool for a novice to use.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Yurimeta19

Give this thread a read through. I just started this process on my newly acquired car yesterday. I've made it through the first wash, clay bar, and half of the compound polish step. Finishing that tonight, moving onto the gloss polish, and then wax.

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f...-101-a-503492/

Quick Reply: First time wash and wax...