Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

First time wash and wax...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I swear...

Yes, everything is contradictory because there is more than one way to do things when it comes to detailing. Hell, that applies to life in general. Many of them ARE right. There is no ONE way to do things when it comes to detailing.

As you noted, there are differing opinions on using a buffer or not. You already know this, whey do you want to reinvent the wheel? Buy one if you want to. Don't make this out to be so complicated. It's detailing a car...it should be enjoyable. If not, pay someone else to do it. Nobody is born able to walk, you learn on the way.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Come on, man. You are making this out to be way more complicated. You've got to read up on your own...it's not practical to ask us to rewrite dozens of how-to articles in one thread just because you don't want to do any research on your own. As I suggested before, go to Meguiars forums and read up. Heck, read up on the forums here while you are at it.

I say again, you are making this way too complicated. In regards to your buffing question...do you want to do this all by hand or do you want to buy a machine to speed things up? It's that simple.
It's not complicated, true and the info is out there, but there's nothing wrong with getting real life opinions from owners who are meticulous about their cars. He owns a Mustang, so why not come and ask and/or pose questions of other mustang owners and their habits?? Keep asking questions GLOCKer...you're in a Mustang forum with other mustang owners asking questions about your mustang!!

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
Everything I've read up on, on multiple forums, is contradictory. Even the how-to articles are contradictory! I'm hoping to hear what works for you guys and simplify it down to one place/one source of info.

And if I'm making it over complicated, it might be because of the horror stories I've read after people have detailed their cars incorrectly and damaged the finish on them!

I've poked around on that Mequiars forum a little but my access is a little limited until moderator approved.

As for the buffer; people seem to have one of two opinions: it's either the best tool ever for everybody for car detailing, or it's the worst tool for a novice to use.
As for the buffer situation...one must understand the mechanical differences in a ROTARY and a DUAL ACTION.
This is what gets the novice/amateur in trouble...the right tool used the wrong way. DA's are very safe even for a novice, whereas the rotary takes a lot of practice, fineness and control to use.

I will give you the 2 most solid pieces of advice I can GLOCKer

1) The right techniques are just as important as the right products
2) Even the best products/tools used incorrectly will give bad results.

No amount of reading is going to replace "hands-on" experience with those 2 comments.

Last edited by steel pony; 08-26-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Cruisin,
You've actually provided some helpful feedback, but I SWEAR...
The forum exists so people can come and ask questions and share information about things that work for them and things that didn't.

For the purposes of his thread, I'm just tring to dot the "I's" and cross my "T's" before I start doing something wrong or find out I don't have all of the necessary stuff. All I want to do is make sure I detail my car correctly.

Forgive me for asking how to do that!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:34 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Steel! Thanks for the reply. I purchased a DA buffer yesterday, exchanged the Turtle Wax carnauba paste wax for Mequiar's Ultimate Wax, and exchanged the chamois for a microfiber drying towel.

I'm going to wash my engine bay with the motorcycle detailer and blow it dry with a leaf blower. Wash the car with the Mequiar's car wash and dry it, clay bar it with the Mequiar's clay kit, and polish it with Mequiar's Ultimate Polish before I hit it with the wax.

I'm pretty happy now that I think I've figured out a plan of attack. I'm probably going to start tonight with the engine bay just to knock that out so I have less to do Friday morning.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:50 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
Steel! Thanks for the reply. I purchased a DA buffer yesterday, exchanged the Turtle Wax carnauba paste wax for Mequiar's Ultimate Wax, and exchanged the chamois for a microfiber drying towel.

I'm going to wash my engine bay with the motorcycle detailer and blow it dry with a leaf blower. Wash the car with the Mequiar's car wash and dry it, clay bar it with the Mequiar's clay kit, and polish it with Mequiar's Ultimate Polish before I hit it with the wax.

I'm pretty happy now that I think I've figured out a plan of attack. I'm probably going to start tonight with the engine bay just to knock that out so I have less to do Friday morning.
Well done mate!
You're on your way to a beautiful shine!!
As I mentioned previously, take your time...get to know the nuances of the car and how the water likes to run off it and pool in particular spots (mostly in the 1/4 window and under the side view mirrors). Tape off a small section and get used to what the buffer can or can't do before you go tearing across the entire surface =)

Mustangs can be a bit challenging since you have extensive body lines that do not play well with larger buffing pads. I mostly use a 5in pad since it's easier to work inside and near the body lines as opposed to running over them with a larger pad and breaking surface contact.

oh yeah...don't forget to post BEFORE & AFTER pics! It would be a shame not to see all of your hard work =)
Old 08-29-2014, 05:02 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I detailed the car today! Check it out here: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-she-look.html