Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

whats the best wax

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:58 AM
12bigredstang
1st Gear Member

Default whats the best wax

hi everyone

What wax do you all use. I got a candy red 2012 convertible gt. What do you think I should use on the convertible top.

luke from Hamilton Ontario Canada
Old 03-10-2015, 04:10 PM
2009RTC

Ask 10 Mustang owners and you'll get 10 different products. I personally like Sealants over wax's, way easier to use. So I use the Blackfire line found on Autogeek and I also like Croftgate products.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 12bigredstang
hi everyone

What wax do you all use. I got a candy red 2012 convertible gt. What do you think I should use on the convertible top.

luke from Hamilton Ontario Canada
Been using Nufinish fo 7+ yrs, I wax 2 times a year, Hey works for me
Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 PM
cleangraystang
1st Gear Member

I use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax Its easy on and easy off and looks great also I use Lucas Slick Mist speed wax and I love it My car is in car shows all the time and I wax it once every week. Keep in mind that a lot sealants can trap dirt in and mess up your paint. Try the Meguiar's you will like it than the Lucas Slick Mist. The Lucas Slick Mist you just spray it on and wipe it off.. Both of these are easy to get there at your Auto Zone and they don't cost a lot.. Most of all they both are really good..
Old 03-12-2015, 03:04 PM
2009RTC

[QUOTE=cleangraystang;8470539] Keep in mind that a lot sealants can trap dirt in and mess up your paint.

This statement about Sealants is totally false, unless your using it over a dirty car. In that case, a wax can also trap dirt in.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:13 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

Jeez, not his again......why not ask which band/singer is best. I like NuFinish too
Old 03-14-2015, 01:58 PM
cleangraystang
1st Gear Member

The statement about a sealant is totally is true. I checked with 3 different paint and body shops and said to me that they do not advise using a sealant on your cars paint. It is a true fact that a sealant car trap dirt in your cars paint if you are going to use a sealant you must use a cleaner wax first.. Nufinish is good but if you would like to have something that's easy to work with than I still say Maguiar's cleaner Wax or Lucas Slick Mist. Everyone likes something different and I wax my cars a lot so this is just what I like and what works for me just be careful read up before you use it..
Old 03-14-2015, 07:30 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Well for me its the Surf City Garage products. Been using all the enthusiast grade stuff for years and now that they have the pro grade stuff out I am slowly switching over. I had 4 bottles of the same stuff on the shelf of some of the products.
As to which wax is the best? Whichever you like to use.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:24 PM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

https://www.turtlewax.com/shop/produ...-wax-16-fl-oz-

After I bought my '14 back in September, I got it professionally detailed several months later by someone who came highly recommended. That gent, upon cleaning my car, used a sealant on the paint, not a wax, claiming the water would roll off for 6+ months & the paint would be better protected. The fee I paid for this detail was what I would call exorbitant & I'll never use this gent (or sealant) again.

So here it is, less than 4 months later & I'm already noticing the car ain't holding her shine, much less beading the water off, even days after a bath. If anything, it seems to be collecting & holding dirt. Hmmm, so much for the sealant route.

Now, my shoulders can no longer do a full detail/clay bar/polish/wax job any more, ergo my recent payout to have it done. I'm ok w/someone else doing the work if the price is reasonable and work done well. But in between those sessions, the upkeep I can still do. The paint surface remains smooth & w/out oxidation. And here in SoFla, keeping the car waxed is a big deal if you like your paint!

Yday I headed to the local auto parts store to pick up some spray for the tires and of course, they had a load of other stuff on sale. I found this new stuff from Turtle Wax, a spray-on caranauba wax. I haven't used a T/W product in eons but figgered I'd give it a try. I'm no wax snob but admit I've primarily used Meguire's stuff for years. And in the past, I'd tried a similar Eagle One product & the results were, mmmm, mixed, would be a polite way of framing it. Well this stuff was only $7 so I figgered I'd give it a shot.

It certainly is easy enough to use. I washed the car, then moved it into the garage and began spraying/wiping sections at a time. The spray goes on & wipes off easily enough and it surely leaves a slick surface. How long it will last I don't know but it did leave a glossy finish. Certainly took far less time than a traditional wax job too, w/out the aching shoulders.

So for the moment, I'll grade this a solid 'B' & see how long it holds up.
Lee
Old 03-15-2015, 05:36 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I have used Wet Obsession Wax since day 1--still my favorite to date.

Quick Reply: whats the best wax