Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Paint Issues / Detailing recommendations

Old 06-29-2015, 02:19 PM
AtlDesigns

Default Paint Issues / Detailing recommendations

Just purchased a 2015 Black Ecoboost and day one I noticed a paint bubble on the roof in the water run off area (Don't know the technical name for that if there is one). I also noticed that the paint seems to either be scratched very easy or get marks really easy. This is not my first black car so I know they show everything but this finish seems to mark really easy.

I have the car in the body shop at the dealer for the roof issue now but was wondering if anyone else has noticed if their finish seems to be very "soft".

I asked the body shop guy this question and he gave me the generic "all clear coats give a hard finish" but I know some finished can be softer then others even with todays clear coats.

Also, I am looking at using a good sealant as well as a wax. I have looked at the Ammo, Chemical Guys and Wolfgang brad of sealants. Has anyone had any luck with these and what should I realistically expect with this type of product.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:31 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I'm sorry, I can't help you with your issue. But I'm curious as to where about in the ATL area you are in. I'm in Marietta myself!

Also, I would suggest checking out the Meguiar's detailing forum. Those guys have a lot of info over there.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:23 AM
AtlDesigns

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
I'm sorry, I can't help you with your issue. But I'm curious as to where about in the ATL area you are in. I'm in Marietta myself!

Also, I would suggest checking out the Meguiar's detailing forum. Those guys have a lot of info over there.
I'm in Smyrna/Mableton area. Are you part of any of the local clubs?

I've over researched so many products from Meguiars, Ammo, Chemical Guys and others. I've recently purchased a RO Buffer and used it on my wife's car but nervous to use it on the new paint right now.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:50 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Cool, we're pretty close then. I'm a member of the Georgia Regional Mustang Club. We're the second oldest chartered club in the MCA, but you don't need to be a MCA member to join. If you're interested in checking out one of our monthly meetings, just let me know!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:55 AM
AtlDesigns

I follow them on FB and IG as well. I would like to go to some events if time permits. My wife and I might to to C&O this Sunday.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:06 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AtlDesigns
I follow them on FB and IG as well. I would like to go to some events if time permits. My wife and I might to to C&O this Sunday.
I'm going to miss C&O this Sunday.

GARMC is hosting a car show at Camasini's Italian Restaurant soon!

Old 07-06-2015, 01:43 PM
FadeawayDetailing

My fav wax is collinite 845 and sealant has to be car pro reload or sonax PNS

Last long easy to use
Old 07-09-2015, 11:48 AM
KMG

I would actually highly recommend have a coating applied. A wax or sealant really won't offer any additional scratch resistance. While a coating won't make the surface impossible to scratch, it will certainly provide a much better protection than a wax or sealant and will also provide a sacrificial layer that can later be polished off when it is time to put a new coating on. Personally I would never own a black car that don't have a coating on it, and I have two black cars right now.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:57 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I've recently become interested in coatings and how they work and how well they protect. Can a coating be waxed over? Will it protect from things like wiping down with a microfiber? Can quick detailers and quick waxes be applied over them?
Old 07-10-2015, 09:27 PM
KMG

Sure you can put a wax over it, but there is really no point in doing it. In most cases a coating is going to be way more hydrophobic then a wax while also providing more depth and gloss. You can use a quick detailer also if you want. I use them as a drying aid sometimes. There is really no benefit to waxing over a coating as you are just wasting product. It will add SOME scratch resistance, however there is not a coating on the market that you can't scratch contrary to what some claim. As long as your being careful and not wiping down a dirty car then yes it will protect it. A coating is pretty much adding a pretty looking sacrificial layer that can be polished off and replaced when it stops performing. This is something that no wax or sealant can claim. You will be removing clear every time you compound or polish when needed with a wax. Once you maintain a car with a coating on it you will never want to use wax again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint Issues / Detailing recommendations