Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Detailing Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 07:48 AM
DippinBob

Default Detailing Tips and Tricks

I wanted to share a couple few points on my detailing efforts as well as read what others may offer. I have the Shadow Black 2016 GT and I want to keep it looking sharp as long as I can before the road grit takes its toll.

One thing I picked up while learning to clay bar my own vehicle was a product from Griot's Garage called, "Speed Shine". Since using Speed Shine I've significantly cut down on how frequently I had to wash the car and it helps to cut down on how much dust sticks to the car. This is my second all black GT and anytime it even thinks about raining it messes up my ride and makes me want to wash it. Using Speed Shine in these cases takes about 20 minutes minus the hose, buckets and soap time. I highly recommend this product but am also interested in anything that might be better.

I would like to know what others use to keep your tires looking shiny/wet without the extreme dull grey look just two days later. I'm also wondering if what I'm using is actually bad for rubber or not in the long run.

I appreciate your thoughts as I'm juts a novice detailer even though I've been doing it for several years now.

DB
Old 12-30-2015, 10:20 AM
mmdpg
1st Gear Member

Try 303 Protectant on the tires, it helps keep the rubber from drying out and leaves a nice sheen without looking sticky and wet.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:27 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Welcome aboard.

Will have to try out the speed shine never heard of it.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:54 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I had my '08 GT for 8 years & washed it maybe 8 times by using an air hose, then lightly dusting & finally using such products. In colors like white & yellow I never noticed any downside to the paint. With black or lacquer it "might" show some fine scratches, but who knows???????
Old 01-01-2016, 07:23 PM
DippinBob

I do have a minor correction. I'm on my 3rd Black GT convertible. I just didn't get into the detailing part until I bought my '07.

I'll try the 303 on the tires. I still have some of that around from when I had my '07 with the vinyl top.

Since this is my first time with a cloth top, any suggestions on how the top should be cleaned and prepped? I tried a micro-fiber towel on my wife's Saab cloth top and immediately regretted that decision. I used a Scotch guard product to make it water proof but it made the inside wreak of petroleum based products for weeks.

DB
Old 01-26-2016, 09:05 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the 303 on the tires! It cleans the tires nicely and keeps them looking factory fresh in my opinion. Plus it doesn't sling off like those greasy, shiny tire shine products!

EDIT TO ADD:

The stuff I have been using is called 303 Aerospace Protectant, but they have a new product out now called 303 Automotive Protective. I don't know what the difference is yet.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:14 AM
STA-BILŽ
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
+1 on the 303 on the tires! It cleans the tires nicely and keeps them looking factory fresh in my opinion. Plus it doesn't sling off like those greasy, shiny tire shine products!

EDIT TO ADD:

The stuff I have been using is called 303 Aerospace Protectant, but they have a new product out now called 303 Automotive Protective. I don't know what the difference is yet.

"As GLOCKer mentioned, you can now find 303Ž Automotive Protectant products at select Advance Auto and AutoZone stores. Based on extensive consumer research, customers will now see brand new bottle designs and labels for the 303Ž Automotive Protectant products, but the protectant formula remains the same as our other 303Ž Aerospace Protectant to help protect the things you love. Use the link below to find the 303Ž Automotive Protectant products near you: http://www.goldeagle.com/where-to-buy also check out our full line up of 303Ž Automotive Products http://www.goldeagle.com/ Please let us know if you have any questions!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!”