Forum Issues and Feedback Discuss any issues you are having with using Mustang Forums here.

Trouble responding to posts? Heres why...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:03 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Default Trouble responding to posts? Heres why...

Since none of the mods have made a thread about it, I will. (Or maybe I'm the only one that has figured it out, who knows?)

When you're receiving an error when trying to respond to a post, the title of the thread most likely has an apostrophe in it. After the recent forum issues, the forums seems to add extra apostrophes each time you copy, respond, or edit a post. So every time a post is being responded to, or someone edits their post, it adds more apostrophes to the subject. At some point, that makes the title too long, and that's when you get the error. This is allowed to happen because the apostrophes don't get added until the thread is submitted.

So, when you're responding to a thread, check the subject. If it has an apostrophe, remove it. Obviously, the best thing to do is not title a thread with an apostrophe.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Trouble responding to posts? Heres why...

Its nothing new. This forum is built on old technology. The administrators are working towards an updated or entirely new system but it takes time to do it without loosing all the current data and making it a royal PITA for everyone. Patience.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:10 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I was just telling people how to get around it so that they could actually post. I've noticed several people being very frustrated by not being able to post. But since it was moved to a section hardly anyone looks at, I guess the mods didn't want anyone to know how to post. I'm about done with this place. Every time I make a post on how to improve the board, or try to help others, they get moved or deleted. I guess my PC and S197 knowledge just isn't wanted here.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

To be honest, I don't know why it is taking them so gawd darn long to update it. I run a Forum at work as part of my duties and we never have issues that takes months to rectify.
I'm beginning to think we are getting snowed. You showed check out moddedmustangs forum. That is some good software they are using.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:05 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT

I was just telling people how to get around it so that they could actually post. I've noticed several people being very frustrated by not being able to post. But since it was moved to a section hardly anyone looks at, I guess the mods didn't want anyone to know how to post. I'm about done with this place. Every time I make a post on how to improve the board, or try to help others, they get moved or deleted. I guess my PC and S197 knowledge just isn't wanted here.

It's just too hard to post threads about trying to improve the board in the right section (hint: posting about it in tech is not the right section)?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

This was not how to improve the board. It was basically a PSA explaining how people can post. Most of the people aren't going to come in here. So since NO ONE had addressed the issue to the masses, I thought I would.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:45 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

NO one addressed the issues to the masses? You didn't read all the multiple sticky's on the top of each section that were posted from time to time? I guess they should just grab people by the throat and shout at their face from now on.

I'm not exactly happy either with the ASP500 issues (or the failsearchfunction...or poll function....), but I'll have to try removing the apostrophe's from the thread title if I get that message again. [&:]

And surely it must mean that the mods don't like you if they moved a thread regarding Forum Issues to the Forum Issues and Feedback section...there's just really no other explanation.[&:][&:]
Old 07-28-2008, 01:12 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Show me the sticky in the S197 or support forum where it addresses the issue? There isn't. But there's people making new threads about existing topics because they're unable to reply to the original thread because of this. I just thought I'd do the board a service and advise everyone how to temporarily resolve the issue.

I never said a mod singled me out. All i said it that while it was not a S197 tech question, it was trying to help people out with being able to post in the section, so I thought it was partially on topic.

Responses like yours, along with the recent forum issues, are exactly why other boards are seeing an increase in new members. Thanks so much for your contribution.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:50 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Show me the sticky in the S197 or support forum where it addresses the issue? There isn't. But there's people making new threads about existing topics because they're unable to reply to the original thread because of this. I just thought I'd do the board a service and advise everyone how to temporarily resolve the issue.
Don't you worry, there have been several sticky's posted before that were up for a few days at a time with regards to the forum issues...although I'm guessing you barely ever glance at those.

I never said a mod singled me out. All i said it that while it was not a S197 tech question, it was trying to help people out with being able to post in the section, so I thought it was partially on topic.
I never said a mod singled you out, although this comment, "But since it was moved to a section hardly anyone looks at, I guess the mods didn't want anyone to know how to post. ", makes me wonder if you could ever possibly look at things from the other side of the fence (get it? its a figure of speech). You seem to think that just because there aren't that many threads/posts in here, no one looks in here, ever.

Responses like yours, along with the recent forum issues, are exactly why other boards are seeing an increase in new members. Thanks so much for your contribution.
Of course, my responses really do drive away members from MF, just because I didn't post a "yeah man +1" to everything you said. How dare I offer a different point of view on anything ever mentioned on this forum.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:24 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Look, the forum software has a problem. I was just trying to help, and you call me out and point out my mistake for posting it in a place people would actual see it. I don't see how that's helping the situation.

Quick Reply: Trouble responding to posts? Heres why...