Forum Issues and Feedback Discuss any issues you are having with using Mustang Forums here.

Off Topic Idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

Default Off Topic Idea

Just wondering about the possibility of breaking down the off topic area. I think it would be good to have a section for maybe Entertainment discussion, i.e. movies, tv, music, video games, etc.... One for Tech related discussion, i.e. computers, laptops, and other cutting edge technology. One for maybe news and current events, and then one for general discussion not including in other areas. Right now the one space for off topic gets posted in a lot, and is hard to go through and look at the threads. Also, it's hard to get serious discussion out of people, and most threads end up being nothing but spam....

Opinions?
Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 PM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

i seen break down off topic discussions like you mentioned in different forums, wouldn't mind seeing it here.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:41 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

That is an idea but not sure how ADMIN feels?....might have to bring this up in the secret room for mods
Old 06-07-2009, 11:21 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Most of the threads do not get broken down into spam. It's not that difficult to get a serious discussion going on in there, either.

If you want to follow your posts in there instead of looking through threads on the main page (and the pages after it), click on your user name in the top right area of your screen, select "Statistics", then click on the "Find all posts by (your username)".
Old 06-07-2009, 02:35 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I would say nearly EVERY post in OT doesn't get anything but people being completely off subject, which really isn't the purpose of off topic (at least I dont think), and I also dont think it's about copying peoples posts 1000 times over and over..

I think that is a good idea, HOWEVER, I dont think the new subjects will stop spam whatsoever. Perhaps a different idea would be to make a "serious section" and a "really off-topic section for nonsense." Because I know I have posted in there trying to be serious and people are just ridiculous.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:40 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Sorry double post

Last edited by maxshuty; 06-07-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

There shouldn't have to be a 'serious' section in OT...
Old 06-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Most of the threads do not get broken down into spam.
Lol!

It's not that difficult to get a serious discussion going on in there, either.
I have seen some good threads that are able to carry out serious discussion, but it's rare and certainly not easy.

If you want to follow your posts in there instead of looking through threads on the main page (and the pages after it), click on your user name in the top right area of your screen, select "Statistics", then click on the "Find all posts by (your username)".
It's actually easier to go to the User CP and it will show all threads you post in or start, which is what I do. This does let you keep up with your threads but doesn't do anything about getting serious discussion. I'd also like to see threads other people have started before I post in them, but finding interesting ones with good discussion is hard in the current Off Topic section.

Last edited by Stealth; 06-07-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:59 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

There shouldn't have to be a 'serious' section in OT...
I disagree. Sometimes you have an OFF TOPIC (aka irrelevant to the rest of the forum sections) question, idea, etc. that you want opinions on or want to know the answer to. Then when you post it within five minutes you have someone saying something dumb. Off topic section isn't about staying completely off topic on every thread that is started. It's about being off topic from the rest of the forums, and generally off topic should stay ON-TOPIC for the topics that the poster is being serious about.
Lately the OT isn't anything to go see because all you see is the same people posting things totally irrelevant to everything -- which to me is not the purpose of OT
Old 06-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

being nothing but spam? im not sure that you know what "spam" is...

Quick Reply: Off Topic Idea