General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wanting to Build an Engine....

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:58 AM
97BlackStang
3rd Gear Member

Default Wanting to Build an Engine....

Ive wanted to build an engine for the longest time. The only real reason is just to see if I can do it. I want to build a 4.6 from a bare block with stock stuff i guess, and see if it works without blowing up.

What would be my best bet to do this? Like go to a junkyard or Ask around to see if anyone has a block or something? How hard would this be to build that is?
Old 03-04-2006, 01:36 AM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Wanting to Build an Engine....

Wait, you want to build an engine? Just like, take it apart and put it back together? Thats kinda what your asking here. Any experience?
Old 03-04-2006, 01:38 AM
97BlackStang
3rd Gear Member

I guess so, Ive always wanted to build an engine from nothing. It just looks fun. I dont want to get a perfectly good engine and take it apart, that would be dumb. But no real experience, no formal training. Ive been in shops/garages alot.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:43 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

How much money do you want to invest in this experiment.... dont forget to calculate tools.... [sm=chairshot.gif]

ORIGINAL: 97BlackStang

I guess so, Ive always wanted to build an engine from nothing. It just looks fun. I dont want to get a perfectly good engine and take it apart, that would be dumb. But no real experience, no formal training. Ive been in shops/garages alot.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:45 AM
97BlackStang
3rd Gear Member

Im not really sure at this point. And yes it will be an experiment in a sense.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:48 AM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

if you already have a 4.6l gt i would then building form a bare block isn't that big of a deal but why use stock parts if your gonna build it up grade some.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:50 AM
97BlackStang
3rd Gear Member

Well i dont want to spend a lot on a good rotating assembly put it all together, turn the key and BOOOM, it just like seize up or something..
Old 03-04-2006, 01:52 AM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Well Im going to suggest starting small. Keep your eye out for a briggs and stratton lawnmower engine. Im not kidding. These make for an EXCELLENT start... youll learn about basic engine operation and fundementals and its alot easier than a car engine. I do power equipment maintnance/repair as a side buisness so Ive worked on countless small engines like this.

Keep in mind, you will need quite a few tools, beyond basic hand tools, to "build" and engine...

at least 2 different range torque wrenches (maybe even 3)
ring compressor
ring expander
feeler guages
cylidner hone
bore guage (set)
Micrometer/caliper
cam degree wheel
dialindicator/base
gasket scrapers
a General purpose Puller (harmonic balance/steering wheel type)
Maybe even a cam bearing installer depending on how involved you get
valve spring compressor
serpentine belt tool

Theres alot of measuring and "adjusting" that goes into building an engine, its not like taking it apart and putting it back together. You need to be able to recognize possible problems that can occur, not to mention the COUNTLESS measurements that you need to take. Get somebody who has done it before and KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING to guide you through it. You need to know your limits, Im only on my 3rd "REAL" engine (that I have serviced internally to be reinstalled into a car) and it takes a bit of "practice" if you will.

Jim
Old 03-04-2006, 01:57 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kartracer55

Well Im going to suggest starting small. Keep your eye out for a briggs and stratton lawnmower engine. Im not kidding. These make for an EXCELLENT start... youll learn about basic engine operation and fundementals and its alot easier than a car engine. I do power equipment maintnance/repair as a side buisness so Ive worked on countless small engines like this.

Keep in mind, you will need quite a few tools, beyond basic hand tools, to "build" and engine...

at least 2 different range torque wrenches (maybe even 3)
ring compressor
ring expander
feeler guages
cylidner hone
bore guage (set)
Micrometer/caliper
cam degree wheel
dialindicator/base
gasket scrapers
a General purpose Puller (harmonic balance/steering wheel type)
Maybe even a cam bearing installer depending on how involved you get
valve spring compressor
serpentine belt tool

Theres alot of measuring and "adjusting" that goes into building an engine, its not like taking it apart and putting it back together. You need to be able to recognize possible problems that can occur, not to mention the COUNTLESS measurements that you need to take. Get somebody who has done it before and KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING to guide you through it. You need to know your limits, Im only on my 3rd "REAL" engine (that I have serviced internally to be reinstalled into a car) and it takes a bit of "practice" if you will.

Jim
Now that would be cool... In that case I would love to do my own engine.... other than that.... pay the piper...

Old 03-04-2006, 01:59 AM
97BlackStang
3rd Gear Member

Well I know how to "build" and engine. I know all the things that make them work, how they work etc etc, ive dont the briggs thing a few times before, very succesful actually. I know you need to take alot of measurements. As far as tools go i have everything on your list aside from the ring compressers, which may be somewere i just dont know it, the ring expander and the dial guage and base. Oh and the cylinder hone, but the Girlfreinds dad is a race car driver/mechanic by profession. He MAY let me barrow some stuff.

Quick Reply: Wanting to Build an Engine....