General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

!!!! PLEASE HELP!!! or im gonna roll my mustang off a cliff!

Old 07-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Lucas11
1st Gear Member

Default !!!! PLEASE HELP!!! or im gonna roll my mustang off a cliff!

I have a 2002 3.8L v-6 automatic. Over the past week, I spent well over 1000 $ to get it tuned up. I had the whole oil change tune up air filter etc... any way, this morning it started 'gurgling' when it idles and when I accelerate it 'sputters' and kinda jumps. It makes it feel like the engine is going to fall out. I took it to get a diagnostic run and it was misfiring. I got the spark plugs and cords changed and it didnt change a thing. any suggestions please or im gonna go nuts!
Old 07-03-2006, 11:53 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: !!!! PLEASE HELP!!! or im gonna roll my mustang off a cliff!

Check the plugs themselves, they may need changing, you already replaced your wires. On the other side of that, check your fuel system, the fuel filter may need replacement, the injectors in an extreme case may need replacement (just get them checked). Clean your MAF... that's all I can think of for now.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:23 AM
rockin95
1st Gear Member

fuel injector cleaner?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:30 AM
Velvet Leopard

I had the same problem in my '87 Grand Marquis 5.0. I found out my distributor was off by one gear tooth. It made it to where it would run, but it acted like it a misfiring bad. Did yuou ever change the distributor or the cap during your tune-up? If so, I would check that out too.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Lucas11
1st Gear Member

I put a injector cleaner in and will see what that does, i didnt have the distributer cap checked, but if the cleaner doesnt work, I will be sure to have that and the injectors checked. I really appericiate the advice guys. Ill be sure to post an update. Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:54 PM
tommy_t
2nd Gear Member

If someone did your work CKECK ALL YOUR VACUUM LINES AND SENSOR PLUGS!!! My friend took his car in for some work and he found 3 sensors unplugged!

Do 2002 v-6s still have distributors?? I though all newer cars have a coils?
Old 07-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Lucas11
1st Gear Member

You know, the guy I took it to told me to un plug the air filter sensor (he said it would make it run smoother, but of course I didnt). I wonder if he did mess something up, so that i would have to come back. What a bunch of BS. Thanks, Im gonna take it to the shop on my military installation and get it checked there, at least they are honest. Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Black_sunshine
2nd Gear Member

make sure the wires are on correctly.and check your maf was not unpluged or was tampered with.how was the car running before.and do you have the old parts
Old 07-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Lucas11
1st Gear Member

I checked the MAF sensor and its plugged in and fine. Would that really have that big of an impact on it (just curious Im engine dumb). I still have the old parts, and I have checked the new plugs and wires. Im gonna take off the plug and put a piece of cloth in there and kick it over to see if the jets are shooting in the deficient chambers. If it doesnt get wet then Ill know its the injectors, if it does, then maybe it will be the battery. The car was running great before I got the tune up, no problems at all. This happened out of the blue while I was driving. It has a hard time even going up hills! No torque what so ever in it. I have been testing everything you all are saying, but Im just waiting for the injector cleaner to kick in. Thanks for all the help! If there is anyone in the El Paso area that can help, I would appericiate it.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Don't fool with the paper test just let the engine idle and unplug one injector at a time and see if the idle changes.If you find one that doesn't change the idle quality when it's unplugged,change it to another cylinder and see if the problem follows.If it does,the problem is in the injector.If not,it could be the plug in that cylinder or the wires going to the injector.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: !!!! PLEASE HELP!!! or im gonna roll my mustang off a cliff!