General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Paint Job

Old 10-12-2006, 01:00 AM
StrklyBizness
2nd Gear Member

Default Paint Job

Im thinking of gettin my car painted, not that I dont like the color I have now but it doesnt fit me. I was wondering how much it would run me paint the entire car. How much do you think an accredible paint shop would charge? Im afraid to ask for fords' price somewhere in the neighborhood of arm and a leg i can guess [&:].
Old 10-12-2006, 03:00 AM
fallfast90
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Paint Job

cheapest way is just a respray of the original color.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:19 AM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

Paint shops will charge thousands.
Earl Sheib hundreds.
You get what you pay for.
Try learning yourself hundreds.
but at least you have a skill and tools when you are done.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:08 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

any paint job, car, house or toiletpaper holder is all about prep.

Do some research, do the prep yourself, or as much of it as you can, and a cheapo MAACO job can come out pretty good. Take off your trim pieces, strip the wax off the car, etc..

I've seen paintjobs done by rattle-cans come out really damn good, it's all in the prep/sanding/finishing.

(Rattle-cans are not an economical way to paint a car, cost a fortune going through a hundred of the suckers)
Old 10-12-2006, 07:13 PM
crazangel14
1st Gear Member

yea me too, i had a slip over the winter and it took a little bit of my paint from my bumper.. anyone down in florida here who knows of a good place to fix it ?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:25 PM
mikerdrocker
1st Gear Member

add some metal flake
Old 10-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

crazangel Just bring it to a few body shops and get estimates. How bad is the damage ? Is it paint actually missing or stained from whatever U bumped into?.

I think painting an entire bumper will range from $150 to $350 depending on how much prep is involved.

sratjackt is right Keeping the same color is the way to go.

The best way to save money is hook up with a good body shop and do all the prep yourself.

Stay away from the cheapo $200 paint jobs. Once you get tthat crap on the car it will cost you dearly to get it off. It devalues the car.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:02 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

People who are saying "do all the prep yourself" might not realize that prep is 99.9% of the job. The differance between a good job and a crappy job is the prep. It takes a TON of time to prep a car for paint (the right way anyways). I am currentlt painting an 88 GT, it's a rust free car with only a few minor dents and dings, right now I ahve about 50-55 hours in the prep work. I laid down the final coat of feather fill primer tonight, I still need to block sand this last coat and then lay another coat of sealer, block that and then I am finally ready for paint. All told I would bet that I will have about 75 hours in this car, and it's not even going to be a two tone color. Just some food for thought for everyone as to why a paint job costs so much.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:06 AM
crazangel14
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Poobs

crazangel Just bring it to a few body shops and get estimates. How bad is the damage ? Is it paint actually missing or stained from whatever U bumped into?.

I think painting an entire bumper will range from $150 to $350 depending on how much prep is involved.

sratjackt is right Keeping the same color is the way to go.

The best way to save money is hook up with a good body shop and do all the prep yourself.

Stay away from the cheapo $200 paint jobs. Once you get tthat crap on the car it will cost you dearly to get it off. It devalues the car.
well the paint is missing.. mainly only on the bumper though. ill take some pictures to show you guys but im new to the area down here in tampa so i don't know where the body shops are located
Old 10-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

crazangel

If you can live with less than perfect some touch up may do it.

Post pics so people can give you an idea.

JD I totally agree

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint Job