General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fan Clutch for a 95 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 03:23 AM
DanVance

Default Fan Clutch for a 95 GT

I have a 95 GT and I am looking to put a fan clutch and fan on the car rather than keeping the stock electric fan. Does anyone know who makes a fan clutch for this particular application. I have noticed that the water pump shaft is larger in diameter than the 86 to 93 5.0 water pump shaft, so I can't use one of those. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:17 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fan Clutch for a 95 GT

Wow this is a first. I have never heard of someone wanting to convert to a Clutch fan system[sm=dontgetit.gif]
You are aware that kind of system robs HP from a already low HP engine? I have no info for you good luck on this one
Old 10-25-2006, 08:29 PM
DanVance

Yes I know it will rob some hp, but I am more interested in the cooling aspects of the swap. ANY ideas are appreciated.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:22 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Just out of Curiosity why are you thinking a clutch fan will cool your car better than electric fans?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:06 PM
DanVance

Because of the volume of air it pulls over an electric fan. This is not a stock application nor a stock radiator. I am just looking for a clutch that will fit over the water pump pulley of a 95 GT water pump.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:12 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Sure I guess? You do realize if your theory was true they would use clutch fans in Racing applications not electric fans. These stock fans wrok just fine for cooling any non stock application. There are people running 600 HP cobra's with the stock fan's and Radiator.
If you don't find a clutch fan set up check out Flexalite elecric fans. They are expensive but it sounds like you don't trust the factory fans for some reason.
Good luck.

Tim
Old 10-27-2006, 11:20 AM
DanVance

I will try to explain it to you so you might understand. I race Off Road with great success. I have many wins and championships under my belt, so I am well aware of the difference in cfm from an electric fan to a manual fan. As I said this is not a stock application. The motor is in an off road desert race truck. I simply said 95 GT because that was what the motor came out of origionally. Since then the motor has went through many changes and modifications. It is no longer a street motor of any kind. Now, with it in the truck that it is, I don't have room for a stock style radiator and electric fan, and personally wouldn't run one if I did have the room. If you could imagine for a second taking your Mustang and flattening all the tires to zero psi, then applying the emergency brake, then hooking the car to a trailer for it to tow with its flat tires and emergency brake on at the same time, then drive it to the floor through the gears without lifting for about let's say.... 300-500 miles, you might be able to compare what this motor will go through in an average desert race. Now knowing that electric fans don't pull the cfm needed to keep the motor cool. However a stock fan with a clutch will pull plenty. I've had pusher electric fans, pullers, both at the same time with poor results over the years. I have bought every fan that is made to try and keep my motors cool with no success. From cheap to expensive as can be, none did the job. Now , a manual fan has always done the job each and every time. That is why i am looking for a manual fan for the current motor I have built. I would have just went back to the 86-93 setup, but the placement of the motor doesn't allow me to run it. The accesories are in different spots with that setup, and won't clear the chassis. If I try to mix and match then the pulley alignments are a problem. Hence why I am looking for a fan for the specific year I have.

As for the 600 hp statement..... I'm sure the electric fan is fine for any pavement application due to the lack of heat generating load for long durations of time. Street is on and off the throttle, not to the floor for hundreds of miles of sand washes, steep rough terrain, and the worst conditions you can put a motor through. Off Road is a different ballgame all together then anything a street/pavement vehicle will ever have to endure.

Thanks for your offer of advice, but I am really just looking to see if anyone has any info on a fan clutch that will fit this particular water pump. Otherwise I am off to the builder to see what custoim shaft we can install in the pump to make it accept the 86-93 fan and clutch.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:12 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

OK I see. Just so you know I wasn't trying to be a Dick. We get alot of kids on here asking strange ?'s. And it didn't make since to put what you where talking about into a Mustang.

I think your best bet is to get one of a pre 94 set up

Off topic here put do run the BAJA 500 and 1000
Old 10-27-2006, 06:05 PM
DanVance

sorry for the double post
Old 10-27-2006, 06:16 PM
DanVance

There is a picture of the actual truck the motor is in from a photot shoot I did with Sand Addiction Magazine last October. As for Mexico..... I don't really enter too many Mexico races due to the politics down there. For the most part we race state side.