General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Keyless Entry Help - 1997 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 01:24 AM
97Cobra

Default Keyless Entry Help - 1997 Cobra

Hey Everyone,

First, I'm the proud owner of a new (too me) 1997 Cobra ...

When I bought it, there was only one set of 'key/keyless entry remore' So, I want a 2nd one. I found them on ebay and also found some instructions. I'm not sure where they are talking about the pins to jump (see below). Does anyone know? Have pictures? Thanks a bunch!
~Erik

Descriptions I found:
(1) These instructions will work on Ford Mustang models, 94 - 98.5:

Turn ignition to RUN or ACC. Momentarily jump pins in programming connector located in LR quarter panel area. All doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode. Press any button on 1st transmitter. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming. Press any button on 2nd transmitter (up to 4 transmitters total possible). Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

(2) You need the keyless remote for that year (I think 94-98 are all the same) If you look on e-bay you can find them new! You can program up to 4 keyless remotes at one time. If you search e-bay most of the units say what cars they will work on and they should come with programming instructions. I have a 95 and I bought 2 remots off e-bay as the previous owner lost mine. The keyless entry unit is in the trunk area on the drivers side. Remove the carpet material and there is a mounting bracket that holds the keyless entry unit (mounted on back) and the anti-theft unit (mounted on front. To program the keyless entry you have to put the key in the ignition and turn it on, but don't start car. In the trunk by the unit you will find a harness that has 2 pins, short those together and the doors will lock then unlock, that tells you that it is in program mode, then you push any button on the remote and the doors will lock and unlock again to let you know the remote was programmed, then you hit a button on any other remotes you are programming and the doors will lock and unlock again. Turn the key off and you are done! It takes only a couple minutes and this will delete any previous remotes and program the new ones. Hope this helps!!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:31 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Keyless Entry Help - 1997 Cobra

yup. My dad has a 97 also i had to do this before i worked for FORD. Must easier with the WDS. lol. The wires you wanna jump are in the trunk... drivers side. Its a 2 wire unit. Its pretty easy to find.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:04 PM
94BOOSTDCobra
2nd Gear Member

the 94 is the same way and I gave up...any description as to the whereabouts of these easily found wires?????

thx
Old 01-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

lol. If i had a picture of the trunk area i would save it to paint and draw some stuff for you. But i dont so here goes...

Open trunk

Look to left

Pull away black( or what ever color you have) cloth from the side of the tail light area.

Then pull away the cloth piece right above that.

Look to left still and you will see a big whiteish colored box. and right below it attached to that same penal are some loose wire. They have a 2 prong terminal....

you know what...f*ck it. I'll go outside and EVEN find out what color it is on my 97 Cobra.........

Ok... Its a grey terminal. But its open with no male side connecter. OK.. Still with me?

Next, you will see a solid WHITE wire, and a GREEN wire w/ white stripe.

This is what they are talking about.... I'll keep on checking this post. So if you need more just ask.

Casper!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:56 PM
97Cobra

I think I found it ... I will test in a bit. [sm=smiley20.gif] Thanks Casper!

I will also create a picture if this is it ... then figure out how to post and we will all have a picture to work from.

~Erik
Old 01-04-2005, 11:49 PM
97Cobra

Guys ... I got it ... Thanks to all the info (and to Casper).

Instructions:

Pre Programming
(1) Prep by pulling back carpet in trunk. Two pieces, the rear most piece and the driver side piece.
(2) Find something small enough to jump the below pins together (I used a small wrench). ** See picture **

Programming
(1) Put key in ignition turn to AUX or Run (Do Not Start)
(2) Short Pins by connecting with a metal object. (You will hear the locks cycle - lock/unlock - and this lets you know you have entered programming mode)
(3) Press any button on the first remote. (The Mustand will confirm the remote by cycling the lock/unlock after you press the button)
(4) Repeat the above for each remote (up to 4)
(5) End Programming Mode by removing the key (The locks will cycle once more to confirm exit of programming mode)

Then I tested all the buttons on each remote to make sure they worked. Good luck, I'll answer questions if I can.

Thanks again Casper!!!!

~Erik

[IMG]local://upfiles/11530/B8F9945F423142BBB3964451ABD5690E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Thats why they pay me the big bucks.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Richman
1st Gear Member

hey i had the same question but i cant find the dam programming connector, i looked everywhere in my trunk and cant find that dam thing

i have a 96 gt,

can someone please tell me where this thing is cuz i cant find it, wider pic maybe
Old 01-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Richman
1st Gear Member

http://www.ge0man.com/trunk/trunk3.jpg

what my trunk looks like, someone help
Old 01-10-2005, 05:27 PM
97Cobra

ORIGINAL: Richman
what my trunk looks like, someone help
Richman,

It looks like your Mustang does not have the keyless entry parts. I would believe they attach right were those two screw posts are. That is about the same spot where mine was. It should be located farther back than that black wire bundle. Did you car come with it? Any reason someone took that out or moved it?

Casper ... any thoughts on this??

~Erik

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry Help - 1997 Cobra