General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Crackling sound...problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:24 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Default Crackling sound...problem?

Alright, here's some information about my car. 1996 Mustang GT Supercharged 5speed 75000 miles.

I bought the car just over a week ago. I took it to a good friend of mine's dad who is a mechanic to check it all over. After going through everything, he said the car was in perfect working order, and was ready to go rock the streets. But just on the safe side, I've been driving it fairly tame. Only yesterday did I finally decide to smoke some rubber after finding everything to feel right.

Well, I just got back from cruising around town with some buddies. We decided to have a little fun so for the first time under my ownership, I let it loose. Well here's my problem.

I've heard this sound before. It's a crackling noise that comes from what sounds like just in front of the pedals. I get it every once in awhile while driving in 5th gear on the highway going 55. It's just a crackling noise, but it goes away I think, as far as I can hear when I hit 60 or so.

I didn't really see it as much of a problem, just started shifting a little later so that I stay in 4th up until 55 and then shift into 5th. Which is okay, because shifting at 45-50 into 5th or shifting at 55-60 into 5th really isn't much different as far as rpms are concerned. The only problem is, that I'll be going 5 over the limit all the time unless I just stay in 4th gear while going 55. But then, 5th is there for highway driving and so I don't know if that would be stupid and a waste of gas.

But I noticed this sound again while driving around. We pulled out of a stoplight with a good launch, and my rpms got up to around 5 thousand, I didn't feel a need to let the rpms go much higher so I went ahead and shifted, then I brought the rpms up to about 5k again and I heard this noise, so I shifted, it went away, then about 5k it came back. So I'm guessing it just happens while highway driving in 5th and also high rpms.

Couple days ago, the radio fan fuse blew so the car overheated. I parked it, replaced the fuse. I couldn't see real well cuz it was dark but I thought the coolant level was fine, so I just went home and fell asleep. Forgot to add more, and the coolant light goes on and off every once in awhile, like it might be just on the border line where sometimes it thinks its low and sometimes it thinks its normal. The engine light is also on, but DOES NOT blink. In most fords that I know of, a NONBLINKING light means there is a fuel problem. But this is just because the O2 sensors that show the engine needs premium is registering that it has regular unleaded.

I've been watching the temp gauge and it hasn't had any problems. From some other research I'm wondering if the low coolant level is the problem or there is coolant boiling in the engine block from a non opening thermostat. However, I'm pretty sure there is no problem in the thermostat. Either that or it could be exhaust manifold heating and cooling. Anyways, the car is going to be sitting for a few days cuz I'm gonna be travelling a bit more for thanksgiving. I'll jsut keep checking back. Hopefully I'll get enough information here to not have to have a mechanic check it out. Thanks.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:54 AM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Crackling sound...problem?

The only crackling noise I hear on my 5.0 GT is
related to the coolant. It seems to occurr when I start
the car cold, and I feel there is a air bubble somwhere
near the dash (maybe the heater core) Sounds like
water under pressure is falling somewhere inside the
motor/dash.
Since I don't see any coolant loss or leaks I figure it
is just the water circulating.
Keep an eye on the temp gauge.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:00 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Alright, thanks. That helps a lot.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:07 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

that sounds like your throwout bearing is about to go out. The bearing will start giving out slowly making a popping noise hear there in between shifts. When it finally goes out completely you'll hear the noise all the time until you push in the clutch. This happen to me in a couple of cars i've owned. Also a lot of times before it goes completely out you won't hear it until the transmission temperature it up, thus why your mechanic probably didn't see any problems. Give it time and i bet it finally give out. When it does make sure to go ahead and replace the entire clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing...one without the other, will just lead to more problems