General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Differences: Traction Lok and Lockers

Old 09-18-2004, 04:33 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default Differences: Traction Lok and Lockers

Can someone explain to me how they both work, if possible?
I know the lockers just basically keep both tires spinning at the same time.
But would'nt this screw with my street handling?
I LOVE going around twisties and such, so I'm kinda confused here.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:54 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Differences: Traction Lok and Lockers

most of the lockers on the market lock/unlock themselves when youre goin @ turns and stuff. you can hear my friends lockin/unlocking when we go around a turn real slow. its a pain to get used to, but, after that, its not bad. i think a trac-lok is just like an lsd pretty much. idk. im sure Roundman could help you out more though. just my $.02
Old 09-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ah
So Lockers Un-lock when in turns
so both wheels can spin at whichever speed they want
Correct?
And in straightaways it just sticks together and just pulls with both tires instead of one then the other
Old 09-18-2004, 09:41 PM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

They are both the same Obsol3te, What happens is the locker or traction lock, Is bassically a clutch system, That when you make a right or left turn it allows 1 tire to spin freely only on dry roads, once you straighten out. It locks back together, When youre locker is worn out, Both tires will spin around corners all the time. Its quite easy.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

From this site...

LIMITED-SLIPS

Limited-slip diffs (also known generically as "posis" from the GM-trademarked Posi-Traction) offer the flexibility of allowing wheelspeed differentiation for cornering but "connect" the axle shafts when either side-to-side torque difference or wheelspeed exceeds a certain point. Most LSDs use friction between the differential case and side gears to connect the axles as opposed to lockers' meshing teeth. Generally, limited-slips are smoother and quieter on the pavement and inflict less tire wear than lockers because they transfer less torque per side. This is why some manufacturers recommend their LSDs for use in front axles.

In technical terms, limited-slips' design intent is to transfer more torque to the wheel with traction, a process called "torque biasing": the available ring-gear torque that a given differential can transfer to one wheel when the other one has reduced traction. Open diffs have 1:1 torque biasing; a traction diff with a 2:1 torque bias would transfer twice as much of the ring-gear torque to the wheel with traction as the one without.

Generally, limited-slips are one of four designs: clutch-type, cone-type, the hybrid limited-slip/locker Eaton Gov-Lok, and planetary-type. Clutch-type limited-slips are the most common and use spring-loaded clutch packs between the diff case and side gears to transfer some of the ring-gear torque to the tire with less traction. When traction loss is sensed, the diff's clutches transfer the power to the other side by driving that side's side gears. The spiders gears spread the side gears, which in turn exert force on the clutch plates. Increased load increases the pressure against the clutch plates, which transmits power to the wheel with traction.
Preload is provided by springs-the stiffer the spring/higher the load, the less wheelspeed differentiation the limited-slip allows, making it closer to the locker end of the traction-diff spectrum than the open-diff end. Clutch-type limited-slips typically require a friction additive to the diff oil for optimal operation. However, the clutches and friction area can wear down over time.
Cone-type limited-slips are manufactured by Auburn Gear. These units use "cones" that attach to the backside of the side gears that nest in machined surfaces in the diff case. Under load, the side gear wedges itself to the case. Because this design requires less force to lock the side gears to the diff case and there aren't any clutch plates to wear out, cone-type units typically enjoy long life.

Another limited-slip approach is Eaton's Automatic Locking Differential ("Gov-Lok"), which is a factory rearend option in many GM-built trucks. This diff uses "governors" to detect differences in axle-shaft speed, and its gears are activated by cam weights and friction discs when speeds differ by approximately 100 rpm, thus sending torque to the slower side. When "locked," the Eaton unit turns both end at the same rate, much like a locker. However, spring-loaded flyweights keep the units from locking at over 20 mph for safer cornering. Designed for stock applications, field reports say that the Gov-Lok can give up the ghost on trucks that have modified engines and oversized tires. The unit is also more costly than other limited-slips because of its complicated design and numerous internal parts.

Finally, the Detroit TrueTrac is a "compound planetary gear" unit that uses dynamic loading instead of clutches or cones to transmit torque to the unit's pinion gears. Because the TrueTrac has no springs/preload, light brake pressure can help transfer the torque.

LOCKERS

Lockers fall into two categories: manual and automatic. Automatic lockers activate without driver input, transferring all of the available torque to both wheels as soon as side-to-side wheelspeed differences cause heavy springs to activate the locker's clutch and engage the spider assembly. The spider assembly's teeth mesh with those on the clutch members to make both axle shafts operate as if one solid shaft. This engaging and disengaging can produce clunking sounds, and one side-effect is possible understeer because only the inside wheel is driving during cornering. Increased tire wear is another concern. However, automatic lockers are virtually maintenance-free, enjoy proven durability, and can usually be installed by any competent ring-and-pinion mechanic.

Manual lockers-such as the ARB Air Locker and PowerTrax Command Locker-require the driver to engage the locker by pushing a button. This allows open-diff steering and handling in high-traction situations but effectively locks the axleshafts together at the push of a button in low-traction terrain. For this reason, the respective manufacturers make both front- and rear-end applications. Also, manual lockers are more expensive than automatic lockers because of the actuation parts involved, and installation is more intricate, requiring mechanical, electrical, and even pneumatic rigging.

Finally, spools are intended for competition vehicles. Used for such things as mud-bogging, truck pulling, and sand-dragging, spools produce the effect of one solid axle shaft instead of two, turning both wheels at the same speed all of the time.

The variety of traction-assisting differentials on the market strives to provide the most power to the ground in on- and/or off-road situations.

Old 09-18-2004, 10:24 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

So the Auburn Locker isnt really a true locker then?
It's still part of the LSD family and can be used fine in turns
Or did I read something wrong
Old 09-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

From what this site says...it's a limited slip.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:37 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

thats why you get a Detroit. the #1 co for lockers. (imo)
Old 09-03-2008, 05:04 AM
theredpony

well i got a question to add to this subject. i have 07 gt and im being told that i have 31 splines axles and traction lok differ. i saw and bought a positive traction unit pretty cheap. now is that the same as what i already have or is that where both tires will always be spinning together??