General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recall On Parking Brake a

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Black5.0Lincoln

Default Recall On Parking Brake a

I posted a couple days ago about that parking brake acting funny. Well I was in the area where I purchased the car from the dealer. I told them what happend and the service guy told me about a recall on the parking brake module. Just thought I'd post so some of you will know. Got mine fixed and so far so good.

Also I have a big issue with paint. The hood and trunk area have these circular cracked paint areas. It's really annoying and pissing me off cause I do not know how and why it should appear as I take great care in the car.

I asked my computer guy to take and post pics of the areas so you can see.

Let me know what can be done.

Old 08-13-2003, 03:14 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Ouch!! That sucks. If you've had the car painted, that would be the result of poorly mixed paint, or an underprepped car. If that's factory paint...then it could simply be old age.

BUT, my guess is: It look's like something got on the paint and ate it. They look like drips...did you ever get egged or anything?
Old 08-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Black5.0Lincoln

Well the last thing that I remembered was tree sap fell on the car. Now I dont remember if it was that exact spot as the paint chipping, but I know I removed it quickly with an after market bug, tree sap remover. Come to think about it I have a lincoln which also got some tree sap on it and that never happened, just cleaned it with the remover and run her through a car wash and it was ok.

I am thinking maybe it was not painted right cause I did pick up the car used at the dealer. Maybe something happened before I got it. I dont know but I am pissed about it. My friend who is a wise *** and partial to imports says to sell it. That aint happening but it has to be painted, correctly this time. One guy said he wanted $900 to do the hood and trunk.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:52 PM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

Just paint the whole car.
What's with the pink?

The top pic it looks kinda like it wasn't prepped before it was sprayed. At Maaco (friends of the family own one that I worked at one summer) we called that the 'scuff and shoot'. It's the cheapest paint job that the used car lots would do. Just sand it so the paint sticks (for a while) and cover everything up. Usually it works to get the job done - all the dealer wants is for the car to look shiny long enough for somebody to buy it.
Any chance that those are rust spots coming through?
Old 08-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Heh, the car probably isn't pink. That's probably the camera's fault...heh.

From what I can see in the first picture, it doesn't look like there is any rust under the split bubble. But I'm glad you mentioned where you bought it...and that would probably support the underprepping theory I presented earlier.

Maaco is a franchise with independent owners, all they want is the name & ability to use their pricing packages. I've seen $1500 Maaco jobs that look like $5000 show-car jobs, then again I've seen $399 jobs that look like $5000 dollar jobs...heh and I've seen $1500 jobs that look like $90 dollar jobs. It's all about who owns the place and their standard for quality work.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:01 PM
Black5.0Lincoln

Okay so it looks like I am looking at repainting the bad areas. Now is this something that will keep coming back up or if I fix it its gone.

Some peeps were telling me to sell the car cause this problem will always come up
Old 08-14-2003, 05:26 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Smack those people who said that. They probably just want to buy your car heh.

If you take it to a reputable shop and they do it RIGHT, it'll never come back and you'll never have this problem again. If it's not rust underneath then you should have no worries at all. If there is rust...make sure the shop sands it down to 100% metal with no rust pits or anything left over.