General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

V8 mustang hasent been started in 5 years, anything i should do before starting??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Default V8 mustang hasent been started in 5 years, anything i should do before starting??

okay today i bought a 1995 5.0 GT Mustang the old lady told me its been sitting for about 5 years, yes it does run, but i have not started it yet because i first want to know if i should do anything before starting it, I dont want to damage the motor, cylinder walls etc will it be fine or what should i do? Any advice would be appreciated, thankyou for you time.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Explosive

Default RE: V8 mustang hasent been started in 5 years, anything i should do before starting??

Um.....oil ? It would be cold though so it would be tough to drain it all so i guess you could just take out the drain plug, put a few quarts through to flush it then filler up, oil filter as well...
Old 10-12-2007, 08:25 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: V8 mustang hasent been started in 5 years, anything i should do before starting??

yeah i was thinking that but i think maybe start it let it warm up than change it? ??
Old 10-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Explosive

Yea, it shouldn't take that long to warm up i don't think. where are you located ? If its still hot where you live you could pop the hood and let it sit in the sun for a few mins lol.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:36 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

and go deep into the blocks core? lol i dont think so and its damn cold here im in california
Old 10-12-2007, 08:37 PM
NYMustang50
3rd Gear Member

oil check antifreeze fluid and check power steering could have leaked out and you dont want to start that with that dry. drain all the gas out of the tank. Check tranny fluid if milky then change. Thats all for starting it driving it i would check brakes and see if the calipers dont seese on you.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

yeah thankyou and i guess it used to be her sons but i have to fix the rearend, the guy was doing donuts and slapped a curb what could i expect from that? i jacked it up and the tire/rim tilted slightly i let it back down and it went back, also it has cold air, maf, plenum, t/b, t/b spacer, holley upper and lower, pulleys, headers, offroad xpipe edit: the rim where it tilted is cracked
Old 10-13-2007, 08:54 AM
bill_w
1st Gear Member

I would suggest draining and refilling the crankcase with fresh oil, disconnect the ignition and or fuel so it wont start, and crank the engine for a bit. This will allow oil to circulate without the high stress of a running engine. When the oil gauge comes up you should be good to go.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:22 AM
metlcub
2nd Gear Member

Also might wana check some gaskets as well. They could be dryied out and cracked. Dont want oil spewing out everywhere.

How much gas is in the tank? if more then 1/4 tank, drain and refill. If less then a 1/4 tank, you should be ok to fill it with 93 and then a feal stablizer or something.

Dissconect the battery, and manual crank it after changing oil to lube everything up befor eyou try starting it.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:52 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

you may need a new battery too...or at the very least recharge the one you have its dead by now unless it was disconnected.

Quick Reply: V8 mustang hasent been started in 5 years, anything i should do before starting??