General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Wheel Lock Kit Question

Old 10-27-2007, 01:14 PM
fun_yellow_gt

Default Wheel Lock Kit Question

Hey guys,

I took my Mustang GT for the first oil change to a Ford dealer and they weren't able to rotate tires because they couldn't take the wheels off, according to their report they couldn't find the wheel lock key. I purchased this car as used and have not received anything else but the manual with it, and I don't know how can I tell if a wheel locks are present andwhere can I get a replacement key for it. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:51 AM
Willem_Black
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wheel Lock Kit Question

You have aftermarket rims? I know that may be a dumb question, but I don't know what wheel options are available for all mustangs and if they have wheel locks as an option. But if they are after market a place like discount tire may have something you can use, I lost the key for my wheels once and bought one they had that worked for $20. Best bet is to try there or a large wheel shop in your area.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:04 AM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

My 89 GT had the factory wheel locks for the turbine rims
with hubcap centers. The loocking lugs are slender with a bulbus
head that requires a key that goes around the head. The big head
is used to lock down the plastic hubcap. I would think ford
would have it.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:52 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Wow, no one at the dealer had a wheel lock remover kit. Find another shop. That's unheard of. They can also be taken off carefully using an air chisel. (I have removed many using both methods.) Then buy a new set of locks that will come w/ a key. I bet a tire shop will have a kit to remove them.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:32 AM
fun_yellow_gt

Thanks guys,

The wheels are stock, no mods of any kind have been done yet. I was surprised too when I saw that they couldn't take the wheels off, I would imagine that a Ford dealer would already have a solution in case someone has lost their wheel lock key. Finding another shop is probably the best idea. I will also check out if local America's Tire shop has wheel lock key that they can sell to me.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:49 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fun_yellow_gt

Thanks guys,

The wheels are stock, no mods of any kind have been done yet. I was surprised too when I saw that they couldn't take the wheels off, I would imagine that a Ford dealer would already have a solution in case someone has lost their wheel lock key. Finding another shop is probably the best idea. I will also check out if local America's Tire shop has wheel lock key that they can sell to me.
just look at all 5 lugnuts you will know what a locking one is at that point. before you go out and buy anything check really well around the car. i found mine in the glovebox, but its possible the previous owner put it with the spare tire...thats where mine is now. it could also be between the trunk floor and the rear seats...things have a tendancy to find themselves there if they are just thrown in the trunk. if you cant find it THEN go to some wheel shops and ask them if they can try to match the key for u.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:51 AM
Willem_Black
2nd Gear Member

+1 in the spare wheel well, I've seen all sorts of important accessories left there by previous owners. In fact, that is where I used to keep my key on my last car.