General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weight reductions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 09:35 PM
00accord
1st Gear Member

Default Weight reductions...

I am planning on getting a 2000 Mustang GT and installing a supercharger, K&N filter, performance headers, borla exhaust, and more, but what I was wondering is how can I lose a lot of weight. I noticed that a Carbon Fiber hood weighs 151.0 lbs, but how much does a stock hood weigh? I also was wondering if installing corbeau seats which weigh 19lbs each would be worth it for $675 in total. What weight reductions would be the best for performance if I choose to race, but don't have infinit funding, but I do have some money to get the major pieces of my car complete.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:40 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Weight reductions...

id buy the car first then put on ur blower, that should be fast enough for you, f still not then id look into the weight reductions.. but man, carbon fibre hood 151 pounds? r u crazy.. fiberglas ones weigh like 10.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:07 PM
00accord
1st Gear Member

Yeah, but I haven't seen any of those before, and I have no clue how much they will cost. Also, how much do they weigh exactly?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:44 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

leave the fast & furious mind at home..f'glass is the hooh up.......getting rid of power window motors and stuff will lighten up the car..the best thing is lighter wheels as this is unsprung wt and can drop your times upto .25 sec..
Old 02-27-2005, 11:10 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

wheels, backseat, A/C, heater, spare tire, jack, sterio, speakers, replace seats, replace hood, power controlls.

Anymore and ur gonna start to lose comfort and rip apart the inside of ur stang. If thats what u want then ill tell u more to do
Old 02-27-2005, 11:26 PM
00accord
1st Gear Member

Heh. I would prefer not getting rid of the power windows, locks, sterio, a/c, heater. This is because I live in Kansas and the weather here varies drastically when seasons change. If you have anything else like jack, spare, backseat, etc... I would really appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:29 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

everything in the interier
Old 02-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

Dont do none of that ricer rippin your car apart crap. A guy at my high school did that to his brand new Acura RSX type S, he messed it all up ripped out the seats, side panels, spre tire, got ugly 15 inch wheels, and ripped out pretty much everything in his car. That only made like a .3 of a second difference. And he couldnt put everyting back together, now theres spaces and his interior comes loose all the time, and everything is all messed up. Is it worth it? NO! you round off the 1/4 times anyway. Leave ur car the way it is and just mod it up or else everything will fall apart after taking everything out all the time. Itll never fit the way it came stock, and ull have loose parts everywhere. The only thing I would do would be to take out the REAR seat and put a seat delete there, get lighter racing seats take out the spare tire and THATS IT!!! but if you wanna go rip up a perfectly good car thats your decision, but think hard before you do it... just my .02

oh and if you want a carbon fiber hood go for it they weigh about 15-20 lbs...
Old 02-28-2005, 05:52 PM
00accord
1st Gear Member

How much does a true Carbon Fiber hood cost and will they last through some rain and snow? I was wondering, because I can get a 27lb Fiberglass hood shipped to me for $500. Also, do you know what the weight of the stock hoods are to begin with?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:59 AM
Wessy
1st Gear Member

Just make your interior look like this:

...That is if your dumb enough to do that. I really think the blower will be plenty. If ya need a lil extra get some [sm=nxsmile.gif]. Not musch reason for weight reduction, but if you must get rid of the AC! I used to live in Wichita and it's not that hot for that long and I hardly ever used my AC. I have a complete AC sys that I bought a few years ago for a truck I had and shipping weight was almost 200lbs! I doubt the Stan's AC weighs that much but I'm sure it's close. The compressor alone is at least 30lbs. Not to mention the fewer acc. you have running of that crank the more HP you get to the wheels!

Quick Reply: Weight reductions...