General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ants in AC System - 01 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Mr. Wolf

Default Ants in AC System - 01 GT

I havean 01 Mustang GT, 5 speed, low miles, 2nd owner. I gave up driving in favor of biking.Car sits on parking lot, covered. I start it up about twice a week.

These ants made home inside my AC vents.. I got rid of them about a month ago by spraying some cheap ant killing spray from ACE Hardware. I strayed inside car, inside engine compartment, wheels and tires, the parking lot itself. It was suppose to last for a month, and after recent rain it might have washed off. There couldn't been more than 4 days from my last startup, I go in, start it up, and ants fly out of vents. They aren't eating anything, I'm pretty sure, they are making home, because Ican see white larvey or something, they are procreating.

I need a plan for keeping ants away from my ride, weekend cruser, whatever. I might go in now and start it up daily, with heater on full heat, to at least kill them. Then I plan to open some vents and spray inside. Then inside engine, on the wheels, parking lot itself.

Q: What kind of ant killing stuff should I use?

Q: Where does AC get the air from? I want to spray extra in there. Picture would be nice.

These are black ants, parking lot variety. They eat everything, I'm sure. They are about 0.17 inches long, if you have cliper.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Fobra
Banned

Default RE: Ants in AC System - 01 GT

you need to bag your car, and put a fumator inside and underneath the car... cover it will plastics and let her rip outside, then follow instructions - should take 3-4 hrs to settle... problem solved - they vaccum and clean the carpets - seats, everything
Old 10-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Mr. Wolf

I'm unable to bag the car. I'll just fumigate it without bagging it..

I'm also taking AC vent covers off and spraying stuff in there.

Then I want to spray at AC air intake. Where is it located inside engine?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 PM
MooseStang88
2nd Gear Member

I would say that you need to not spray and get the actual ant bait you can buy. If there isn't any food around they will be glad to eat the bait. They take the bait back to the queen and it's all over. So i would just put bait around the interior of my car.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:00 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Get into the actual AC inlet and vaccuum those f'ers out. The only reason Id think theyre in there is maybe something tasty fell into the cowl vent...?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 PM
txjason1
2nd Gear Member

I am with Phantim...something is inside cowl that they like.
Use the bait. spray may damage plastic and rubber...that would suck!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:11 AM
johnnyhou
1st Gear Member

Nobody here seemed to mention that ants like electricity. The fact that you leave your car sitting for a spell is something to deal with. disconnecting the battery is a good idea. Not only will this help your battery to maintain a stronger charge over longer periods of time, but it might help to deter the ants from housing in your ride.
I have not seen this kind of activity in a car before, but ants made a home in the battery compartment of my guitar at one time. I do know that ants like electricity, and often will nest where magnetic feilds exist. also lots of rain forces ants to find new homes, so disconnect the battery and spray again to deter them from making their new home in your ride.