General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Biodegradable Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:24 AM
rehtorb
1st Gear Member

Default Biodegradable Motor Oil

While doing work for a client I came across this company that produces a line of environmentally friendly automotive products and one of them is motor oil. It is based on grown plant oils. They say its safe to use in turbocharged and super charged engines also. They even claim that it can be disposed of with an additive that basically turns it into soil so you don’t have to dispose of it at a service station. My question is; has anyone had experience with this product or a similar one, either in their mustang or other vehicles?

I know my personal choice of vehicles is not the most environmentally friendly given the v8, but I like to think that I make efforts in other aspects of my life to be eco friendly. They make a line of car cleaning products that I’m going to give a try, I’ll let you know what I think. Check it out.

G-OIL – Green Motor Oil

Automotive Products

Oh yeah and this gives me a real reason to check out the forum during work hours.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:30 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Biodegradable Motor Oil

It must either cost a fortune or doesn't last very long. Nice idea though.

I know a lot of construction sites use vegetable oil in their vehicles hydraulic systems.. so "if" they ever spring a leak & spill onto the ground it's no big deal. Similar idea I guess
Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Too bad they don't have any pricing on their website.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:54 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

hmmm... now i might buy that the car care products actually work, but i don't know about biodegradable oil.
i wouldn't want it to mix with something in my engine by accident and turn into who knows what and destroy my engine.
not that it hasn't been tested... but you never know. lol especially when it's biodegradable.
it would be cool if it worked though and people started using it. the only problem now is that it probably isn't as good as other fully synthetic oils...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:28 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Yea and it might go "into" your engine as a nice friendlybiodegradable product. But once you've racked up 3000-5000 miles on it and contaminated it with combustion residue,, how can it still be considered friendly biodegradable coming "out"??
Old 11-08-2007, 12:10 PM
rehtorb
1st Gear Member

Greystang thats a really good point. The contamination from just everyday use would seem to make it less friendly. I know alot of hydrocarbons can be broken down naturally but im not sure i would just put this stuff in my compost at the end of use. I'm not going to put this stuff in my car yet but it would be great if you could with confidence. I'll contact the company about pricing and post it.