General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto Faster? Stick faster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Auto Faster? Stick faster?

Damn, wheres that video of that guy chirping every gear down the 1/4 mile in the vett when you need it......Stock auto vs Stock manual, stock manual will win hands down. A factory auto is homosexual.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:39 PM
That Guy
2nd Gear Member

To end this argument. My brother has a 2003 auto GT and I have a 2004 stick. He never comes close. Granted he is my little brother and I have to beat him in everything, but I have the advantage of shifting quicker and at higher RPM's. No matter who gets a better launch I'm gonna run right by him. I know he's a decent driver, but you don't have to do much in an auto. I would say you could bring an auto GT up here, but there's still 6 inches of snow.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:40 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k5pony

Dino runs I have seen. Correct even if you cut the engine you will keep moving. Obviously are you "manually taking the gear and moving it" When the computer does it. It is done quicker and more effiently. If you have driven both you would be able to tell this from mearly being in the car.
Dyno runs you have seen? You cannot shift the car on the dyno under load! You get it in 4th gear (or your 1:1 Gear or whatever is closest), leave it in gear and mash the throttle from about 2800 to redline. You don't run through the gears at full throttle on a dyno! (acutally im pretty sure this would tear the **** outta it).

How can you "lose RWHP thru the shift"??? That doesnt even make any since.

Your smoking crack dude. I don't car what year the car is, the stick is gonna be faster unless it is just setup horribly. Ask for 1/4 mile times around here from both stick and auto guys stock for stock, all of the stick times are faster.

Theres a reason that they call an auto a slushbox. And even a built up auto is going to be slower until you start really making the horsepower.

All of this doesnt even mention that the auto is heavyer as well. And in most cases (although not the new GT) it doesnt have as many gears. The only reason that the new GTs with autos are quick is because they have extremely short gears in 1st,2nd,and 3rd. And the 5spd is still faster stock vs stock.

Edit: Also, you are not even mentioning powershifting. I can shift my car without taking my foot off the gas, so the RPMs acutally rise for the spilt second I am shifting, and give me a little "boost" every time I shift. Haven't you ever seen someone racing a stick and acutally jumping forward everytime they shift??
Old 03-03-2005, 02:41 PM
2k5pony
1st Gear Member

Its about how long your HP is at the RT not what is at the rear after you shift. according to your theory of I have say 300 HP between 3rd and 4th gear in a auto. you rather have 30 HP between and end up with 310 slamin in at 4th gear. You dont feel the POWER LOSS cause its not there you feel it in the manual jerk cause your trying to get your RW back to where the auto already is.
ORIGINAL: 96SilverLT1

I have driven both. The reason that it's quick and smooth in an auto and you don't feel it is alllll that power loss going in with teh gear change. Thats why when you pound second in an manual the car hits hard. your transfering all that power at once instead of sliping that power through a slush box.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:43 PM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

you need help man.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:44 PM
2k5pony
1st Gear Member

One place I have seen this on the dyno was FX engineering. I did nto want to bring this up cause it is bikes compared to cars but this is just an example. They shifted the bikes on the dyno just fine before and after installing a shift KIT to show the power loss. Then again I bet your another super dooper shifter guy
Old 03-03-2005, 02:45 PM
2k5pony
1st Gear Member

Good reply did you get that off http://www.disney.com message board?

you need help man.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:46 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Its about how long your HP is at the RT not what is at the rear after you shift. according to your theory of I have say 300 HP between 3rd and 4th gear in a auto. you rather have 30 HP between and end up with 310 slamin in at 4th gear. You dont feel the POWER LOSS cause its not there you feel it in the manual jerk cause your trying to get your RW back to where the auto already is.

I have driven both. The reason that it's quick and smooth in an auto and you don't feel it is alllll that power loss going in with teh gear change. Thats why when you pound second in an manual the car hits hard. your transfering all that power at once instead of sliping that power through a slush box.
Wow, you are so smoking crack. And someone has blown the smoke up your ***. Read the above post.

Just accept the fact that whoever told you this is wrong.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:47 PM
snlpa
2nd Gear Member

Some people don't want to here this........Of course a manual will be faster!! If you have to ask.....you didn't know. There is no questions or rebutle to this. Maybe some people cant drive manuals...I can lay 15ft of rubber grabbing 3rd gear...lets see your auto do that.....?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:48 PM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

Insulting people? I didnt know you were so sensitive. My appologize sine that is the case. I started the thread to have a discussion. If you are feeling hurt maybe you should post on http://www.disney.com or http://www.nick.com. I have yet to se proof and would be glad to read it. So far I just have opinion. Send the proof Ill be glad to review it. I am opened minded to your so called "proof" that has yet to exist.

And I find your ignorance funny. You started a thread with a question to which you already desided an answer for the sole perpous of insulting the people that don't agree with you. No matter what proof you are to be shown in this thread you will never change your mind. That kind of closed minded thinking is what keeps the internet filled with people just like you.

WHAT A DICK ! this dude needs a pass to ITS A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL! haha!pro stock car got lenco's dont they.....

Quick Reply: Auto Faster? Stick faster?