General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Mustangs not for me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Default Mustangs not for me?

I think it may be time for me to move on, and that the mustang just wasnt a good choice for me right now. im 19, worked hard for it, got it alomsot paid off and had an oopsie:

https://mustangforums.com/m_4162213/tm.htm

My father will let me drive his car though winter (but i really miss the stang rigth now its getting fixed for the next 2 weeks in the shop) and i hate having my car at home that i cant drive. Im thinking its time for me to chalk up a loss and just sell it( i paid 25k with 19k miles) and hopefully i can get 22k$ with 24k miles now. IF i can do that ill have enough to move to the darkside to buy something that i can drive in the winter, yet still be a fun summer car, more stable in the snow/rain and still have modding potential. The car id move torwards: a WRX STI like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...49998&rd=1I actually have been enjoying driving my dads 02 dodge intrepid a little because its so laid back, its quiet, unlike my no mufflered mustang and auto, no shifting gears.... i just cruise and im really just getting lazy, after working for 11 hours the last thing i wanna do is wiggle my left leg through rush hour for 35 mins. So im looking torwards a STI 6 speed or mabey just something else thats auto yet still fun in the summer and is winterible. If i could put snow tires on the mustang and some bags in the back i would and them drive that in the winter, but i just hate having everyone tell me its not a winter car and i shouldnt drive it then. I know its my car but i just dont want to see myself messing the car up anymore and it seems to me i just dont deserve it if i know that that will happen again. So at this point im curious on what you guys think i should do:

1. Mod the 06 gt get winter tires and drive it through winter( and take it really really slow)

2. mod the 06 gt and let it sit all winter, and drive daddys beater( i hate relying on using my dads car and then seeing my car sit)

3. sell the GT and get a WRX thats fun as hell! or mabey a different car- even tho i know nothing will compare to my stang, when i get in it, itmakes me smile, the torque,is just amazing! Slamming gears makes me feel in heaven and the sound is kick@ss and i know noother cars can give me that feeling.Mabey im just having mustang withdrawls because this 3 days is the longest its been without driving it!

4. any other ideas that someone would like to suggest,

Well, this is just a time in my life i have options and have the $$ and cant make up my mind, so i was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas or input on what you think. -Jon
Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustangs not for me?

Don't get discouraged dude. Most of us here have wrecked at least 1 car, prolly a Mustang. Summer tires FTL in a rwd V8 performance car, I still have my summer tires on and now how it is, it was raining today and I was taking it easy. With the current tires if the ground is even damp, I have no traction at full throttle until about 80mph, and even lost control of it once on a curve at like 40mph...it was raining at my house and as I drove down the street around the curve which is a posted 50mph zone(it's a gently sweeping curve) I noticed the ground started to havea whitish look, turns out it was about 10-20deg colder a half a mile from my house and there was snow/sleet on the road, by the time I realized it and started to slow down it was too late, I was already moving sideways, rotating and crossing into the oncoming lane. Luckily no other cars were coming down the road and I slid across it into a mailbox turnout, missing the bank of mailboxes when the car stopped about 1ft short of them. Just get the car fixed and drive it stock for a while until you get used to it. Mod it later once you have a handle for it
Old 11-12-2007, 02:13 AM
iraziel
2nd Gear Member

You say you have $$$, if i were you just buy a little FWD or AWD, honda or w/e. This idea for a number of reasons:

1. MPG.
2. For those snowy/ rainy days and just dont wanna risk it
3. Use the banger as primary on insurance, dropped mine down $60-100.
4. Whenever your pony is out for a few days being upgraded or what not you have a back up without worry if daddy will pull through to lend the beater.

If you go with the STI your gonna be shifting like no tommorow (one complant i heard about). It'll be a great convenience to you to buy a second car, auto if wanted, and if you want make that into a little side project too. I cant count how many times my bro an i worked on our cars and used each other as a back up ride, running errands for tools, wrong parts, ect. .....IMO dont part with the stang, you may really regret it down the line.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:21 AM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

accidents could happen in any car.

Some one should have told you that wide
tires on a sports car with rear drive should
be tested in parking lots before entering the
highway.

Looking at your pictures gives me the
impression of a tough car that doesn't
care if it get's beat up a little. Kind
of like a badge of courage.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:52 AM
blwn93gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iraziel

You say you have $$$, if i were you just buy a little FWD or AWD, honda or w/e. This idea for a number of reasons:

1. MPG.
2. For those snowy/ rainy days and just dont wanna risk it
3. Use the banger as primary on insurance, dropped mine down $60-100.
4. Whenever your pony is out for a few days being upgraded or what not you have a back up without worry if daddy will pull through to lend the beater.

If you go with the STI your gonna be shifting like no tommorow (one complant i heard about). It'll be a great convenience to you to buy a second car, auto if wanted, and if you want make that into a little side project too. I cant count how many times my bro an i worked on our cars and used each other as a back up ride, running errands for tools, wrong parts, ect. .....IMO dont part with the stang, you may really regret it down the line.
i agree, buy a winter beater. i would suggest an old vw bug. i had one when i was 16 and im looking for one now. those things are awesome in the snow. i remember watching 4X4's going into ditches and i would just pass them by.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 AM
patrickfxck
1st Gear Member

keep the mustang!
ive wrecked 2 cars.
im going to be driving a winter beater pretty soon here.
no way im even going to attempt to drive in the winter, i slide all over when its raining.
just have to be super careful and go slowww.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 AM
08Steeda
3rd Gear Member

{Big Booming Voice from the heavens} KEEP THE STANG!!! BUY A BEATER!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:47 PM
8barrell460

Keep it. If you buy something else though I don't think a front wheel drive car is a good move. Besides it having WAY lower output they are a headache to work on yourself, and a money hole to repair if you pay to get it fixed. Something is always going wrong in the front end. Those cv joints they got are always wearing out. One little pothole you could snap one, and your wheels fall off.the tie rod ends break easier. The sideways motor makes it difficult to do semi simple repairs like alternators, and water pumps, and belts. They handle better than RWD's in the snow, and rain, and get better gas mileage, but thats the only upside.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Dont you guys hate knowing you have to drive a 5000$ piece of junk when you have a 30000$ gem sitting in your garage? this is going to be a very very long winter. And the beater, my dad told me i can use the 02 trepid as a beater( his car) because he doesnt drive much at all and works in the house. so ill use that till something rolls around. Gives me more hope for keeping the stang , but i love it ans dislike it for so many reasons such as how i cant drive it at certian times and the fact a 5 speed is a pain when i dont wanna drave it, but love the feel/sound and power!

When i get my stang back imma take a drive up to a local dealer, they have this monte SS with the 5.3L
This was the car i was looking at as an option and they want 20k for it, my GT has a trade in at 21k, so if i can do an even trade even after the accident... well see, i just miss my car and i know once i drive it again i wont wanna trade it for anything. heres the SS:

http://www.lambertgm.com/temps/detai...rchvkid=201627

-Jon
Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 AM
stewdrivesamustang

im sorry but did you just say a monte ss ? what year ? 20k ? i thought you were looking for a winter car ? a monte carlo with a 5.3L

Quick Reply: Mustangs not for me?