General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do I Go For SCCA Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default Do I Go For SCCA Racing

Ok guys, laugh now and then answer my questions please. Keep in mind when answering that I am female.

I was invited to go racing at a track which is sponsored by SCCA (autocross) by a friend. I don't know a whole lot about this but it sounds like fun. I currently own a 97 GT convertible that's all stock and I just bought new passenger tires.

My concerns are these: should I have anything special on my car in order to race safely besides having a helmet. I think I am supposed to have either my engine or my battery strapped down. I am pretty sure there is a bar already going across my engine.

Does my car need anything like special brakes, better suspension than stock, etc., to do this? If so, I'll go and just watch.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:50 PM
CIZ58
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Do I Go For SCCA Racing on 3/6/05

maybe roll cage
im just guessin
Old 03-05-2005, 02:15 AM
pipeliner
1st Gear Member

You need numbers and a class. The people will help you there. Although you might as well get a S cause your gonna be stock class A helmet is a must. All the commen sense stuff with your car. I.E no leaking fuel and so on. Depending on what part of scca your gonna run in (im assuming solo) you will have fun. I have yet to meet a person who was not nice. my buddies wife has trophyed at nationals in Scca there is no discrimination. So dont worry if you dont make everyone look bad.

If you need anymore answers p and and I will be sure to help you. We always need more lad racers
Old 03-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pipeliner

If you need anymore answers p and and I will be sure to help you. We always need more lad racers
This is not clear. "p"?

Yeah, I HAVE LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!!!
Old 03-05-2005, 12:26 PM
pipeliner
1st Gear Member

Sorry was pretty drunk last night. Private Message or ask in here and I shall do my bst to answer them.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:01 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

most racing association have classes for stock vehicles, so just get a helmet and go with your friends and the tech guys will work with you to place you in the right class for rookies so you can have some fun. once you get a taste of it, you might like it and then you will start to spend the money on things you need to go fast! Just remember the old adage: SPEED COSTS MONEY, HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
for sure go and have fun!
Old 03-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

That's what I am afraid of -- liking it!

When I bought my tires, I didn't plan on participating in any type of racing.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:48 PM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

well heres the deal, the SCCA runs autocross at a community college where i live, its really short track, with alot of turns and of course the cone weave. You dont need any thing special on your car, but the most important thing is handling. My friend has done 4 autocross events with his 240 sx and sed mustangs usually struggle because of the too much horsepower paired with the not so great handling....your first coup[le of runs take the turns slow, and get the feeel for your car, and most of all.... have a good time. Oh yea... give me feedback.. cuz i wanna know how that body style gt does seeing thats what im gunna get and i plan on autoXing. GOOD LUCK
Old 03-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Awesome! I was kinda hoping that somebody else did it before I went there.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:27 AM
pipeliner
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IdontOwnaMustangYet

well heres the deal, the SCCA runs autocross at a community college where i live, its really short track, with alot of turns and of course the cone weave. You dont need any thing special on your car, but the most important thing is handling. My friend has done 4 autocross events with his 240 sx and sed mustangs usually struggle because of the too much horsepower paired with the not so great handling....your first coup[le of runs take the turns slow, and get the feeel for your car, and most of all.... have a good time. Oh yea... give me feedback.. cuz i wanna know how that body style gt does seeing thats what im gunna get and i plan on autoXing. GOOD LUCK

Sn95s do alot better then fox bodies because of there abs. I am a SCCA member and I do race evry chance I get. The reason I went autocross instead of road courses is because of the pace. Autocross you are constatly moving, road courses you have time to think.

Roundman is right you have to be teched. Its not a big deal. They just look over your car real quick. As for cost autox is not as expensive as everyone thinks. Although with a sn95 your not gonna be as competative untill you do spend gobs of money. But as you spend that money it will change your class.

One thing i would do it your worried about it is put a bra on the front of the car. Cone scuffs are a bitch to get off.

Here is the rule book so you can glance at it and figure out your class.

http://www.scca.org/_filelibrary/File/2005SoloRules.pdf

Quick Reply: Do I Go For SCCA Racing