General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

been having some bad pulling issues at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 PM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

Default been having some bad pulling issues at highway speeds

it's been driving me insane....

On the highway, if i make a left turn, it will pull left, right turn and it will pull right. if i correct with the steering wheel, it starts to drift the other way.
Basically... the entire time i'm on the highway it's constant corrections to keep going semi straight
it's barely noticable at local road speeds, only really notice it around 60mph+

I got an alignment last month and it helped for about a week, but got bad again.

i bought the car a few months ago and it's only gotten worse. Most the miles i put on it are highway (driving 50 miles each way to work on my coronet on weekends). It's been autocrossed one weekend and drag raced another.

the particulars...
95 mustang gts
eibach lowering springs
tokico shocks/struts (front and back)
Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber plates.
275-40-17's around

got any ideas?
Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: been having some bad pulling issues at highway speeds

sounds like tie-rods probably . you can check to see if they are bad . jack one side up at a time . grab the tireon left & right side, try toshake itback 'n forth , if there is any play they need to be replace , & then another alignment .you can check the ball joint by doing the same thing , just grab tire at the top & bottom & shake up & down .
are your tire's worn evenly ?
do you have alot of play in your steering wheel ?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

How's the road you're on? It could be the tires grabbing the grooves in the road, as well.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 AM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

ah i tried pulling on the wheels with them both in the air (both would move slightly with the wheel turning as well)but not each on it's own... i'll try each side when i get a chance..
tires are worn even, wheel doesnt really have any slop, it feels a bit heavy though (im thinking that could also be from the wide tires upfront)
I assumed the alignment shop checked the tie rods and balljoints, but maybe not..
the roads are varied, some brand new, some older...at badly grooved spots im moving the wheel back and forth like an old car movie to keep the thing straight.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:52 AM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

i have the same exact problem but i have alot of play in the steering wheel, im always correcting my steering and it feels like im all over the road on the highway, it sucks!!! people more than likely think im drunk i need to fix it maybe its my rack and pinion
Old 11-19-2007, 01:10 AM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

well atleast racks are pretty easy to do with these cars... i hadda do one on a collision job and it was cake. i'm just hoping that's not the issue
Old 11-19-2007, 06:22 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

I'm wondering if there's a crack in a frame crossmember, or something like that that's allowing the chassis to flex when a cornering load is put on them. It's weird if an alignment helped "for about a week" & then went bad again...?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:25 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Look at the lower control arm bushings.
When these things get soft or wear out it causes the same symptoms you have.Even an alignment will only last for a few days.

Another test to narrow it down is to see if the front end pulls one way or the other during braking.The harder you brake the more the car pulls to one side.
The car should pull to one side or the other when braking in a straight line but it should be consistent in the direction of pull.Bushings don't usually wear out equally on both sides.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:53 PM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

braking is neutral, it won't change which way the pulling comes from. on moparts i heard i can be having all this trouble because the car was lowered and i dont have lowering balljoints/bumpsteer kit... i figured the C/C plates would be enough?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Geofux

Some people might laugh at me when I say this, but while you're at it, why not re-balance your front wheels?

Quick Reply: been having some bad pulling issues at highway speeds