General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

BODY WORK

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

Default BODY WORK

Greetings everyone, figured this would be the appropraite section for this

1) I wanna get my car ready for some Body work.. the Nose Needs to be pulled about a 1/4 inch to the right and the car will be straight... how much would somthing like this cost? im ballparking 400-600 in my head hopefully cheaper can't see it being more then a 3 hour process

2) Primering, if i want to take the paint off my car completely and just leave it as primer how do i go about doing this? im buying a new door hood and trunk lid and possibly new fenders and rather be primer then multi colored lol... do i just take a old fashion sander with some fine grit level and sand the paint off then slap primer on or is there more to it?

3) say i get the car primered and painted BEFORE the nose is straightend with they straighten the nose will that affect the paint job?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:17 AM
xz06
1st Gear Member

Default RE: BODY WORK

[quote]ORIGINAL: Alero99

Greetings everyone, figured this would be the appropraite section for this

1) I wanna get my car ready for some Body work.. the Nose Needs to be pulled about a 1/4 inch to the right and the car will be straight... how much would somthing like this cost? im ballparking 400-600 in my head hopefully cheaper can't see it being more then a 3 hour process

2) Primering, if i want to take the paint off my car completely and just leave it as primer how do i go about doing this? im buying a new door hood and trunk lid and possibly new fenders and rather be primer then multi colored lol... do i just take a old fashion sander with some fine grit level and sand the paint off then slap primer on or is there more to it?

3) say i get the car primered and painted BEFORE the nose is straightend with they straighten the nose will that affect the paint job?
[/quote

If you mean..." that the nose needs to be pulled to the right..."frame straightening,most places charge a minimum of 4 hours to put it up on a frame rack.You are a bit vague in terms of the damage.
It is better to have paint stripping done by an expert.Most times paint is removed with automotive paint stripper.It is messy and caustic.It is not wise to grind off your paint without an appropriate sander and several grades of sandpaper.Metal heats up quickly during the sanding process and panel will warp due to heat created by friction.If you know how to use a dual action sander(DA),that is the preferable tool.Alternate method would be to just block sand the top coat and not go to bare metal.After properly prepping,then you can primer the car.
On your third question,if you are referring to frame straightening,get that done first,then do your body work.Without knowing what kind of damage you are describing,the process to repair it may be minimal ...or more invloved.During your visit to the bodyshop to get an estimate,let them answer the questions,because,they will have the car in front of them and can see precisely what you are want answers to.

[IMG]local://upfiles/80278/B9971DF158234C7AB4B414288872757A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: BODY WORK

sorry i was vauge

the nose on my car is crooked.. about 1/4 inch to the left.. the hood doesn't sit right, if i set the hood perfectly straight when i go to close it, the hood will just hit the fender. so the nose just needs to be tugged a little bit to straighten it out.